What's new
What's new

Post Processor Modifications

Matthewkral

Plastic
Hey guys.
Do you have advice on getting a post processor modified and tailored to your machine?

I am in a tricky spot here. We recently purchased a post processor from our Gibbscam retailer for one of our live tooled lathes. We needed to bring someone in to completely edit the code in order to get the machine to complete the part as a lot of the post processed codes were alarming out our machine. The issue here is I am a mill guy with minimal CNC lathe experience and our lathe guy is pretty old school and does most of his programming by hand, unless its live tool or some funky finish passes. In that case I will usually whip up something for him with CAM. I am worried that I wont be able to properly communicate the issues to the Gibbscam retailer about the proper modifications our post needs.

Any advice or tips on how to get the post tailored are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I don't see why you can't discuss this with your lathe guy to figure out what the issue is in plain english so you can tell your reseller.

Alternatively, send them the fresh out of cam code and the modified running code and your cam program w/post etc and ask them to make A post like B.

I don't see why you can't discuss this with your lathe guy to figure out what the issue is in plain english so you can tell your reseller.

Alternatively, send them the fresh out of cam code and the modified running code and your cam program w/post etc and ask them to make A post like B.
Plain english is also the other issue lmao. He's Ukrainian.

Hey guys.
Do you have advice on getting a post processor modified and tailored to your machine?

I am in a tricky spot here. We recently purchased a post processor from our Gibbscam retailer for one of our live tooled lathes. We needed to bring someone in to completely edit the code in order to get the machine to complete the part as a lot of the post processed codes were alarming out our machine. The issue here is I am a mill guy with minimal CNC lathe experience and our lathe guy is pretty old school and does most of his programming by hand, unless its live tool or some funky finish passes. In that case I will usually whip up something for him with CAM. I am worried that I wont be able to properly communicate the issues to the Gibbscam retailer about the proper modifications our post needs.

Any advice or tips on how to get the post tailored are greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Take a proven program out of the machine and share it with your reseller.

Any time I request a post mod I send it a proven example to what I am looking for.

"Hey *insert Gibbs Cam reseller name*, we just installed a *insert machine make model and relevant options* and were looking to get a post made for it. Can I get a quote?

It really is that simple. It works in email, phone, or fax.

Yeah, don't overthink it.. If you can provide a sample of what you'd like to get vs. what you actually are getting, it makes everyone's life easier. If you don't know what you want to get, either have your Ukrainian friend write/edit the program, or talk to your machine tool's AEs for an example file.

Back