What's new
What's new

Shear or Saw 1/8" SS Rod??

munruh

Hot Rolled
I need to shear 1/8" diameter 304 SS rod into 6" pieces, about 4,000 pieces annually. I don't like what the steel supplier wants to charge to saw or shear it. Our Cosin saw is just too big for this. Do you have any ideas on some tool or something that would work well shearing this stainless rod?

What is done to the pieces after they are cut? Machined? Welded? We cut 1/4" 304 with our Cosens all the time for machined parts, and we also shear a lot of it that go into a family of weldments. We just have a round die for our iron worker that we use for those.

If machined after cutting, I would definitely saw them, while not too bad the shear does deform the ends enough that it is difficult to get the blanks into a 3J collet.

The print will have a
size tolerance,
geometric tolerance,
hardness tolerance and a
surface finish tolerance.
Let that be your guide.
Not the internet.

-Doozer

shearing will work, but will slightly deform the ends. I shear rod all the time, up to 1", on my 50 ton ironworker.
You can buy manual rod parters, which are made to shear round bars with only a little distortion.
Old US made di-acro- https://www.ebay.com/itm/386174969987
New Pakistani on ebay- https://www.ebay.com/itm/3942645709...MI4--onvjnhQMV_BKtBh1gHQ2KEAQYAiABEgKM7_D_BwE

pakistan has a 50 or so year old stainless steel industry, both making it, and fabricating it, so this rod parter is most likely ok, but, its mail order from pakistan, so, you pays your money, you takes your chances.

A cold saw with the right rpm and tooth count will do it too, and they do make semi-auto cold saws that will feed to a stop.

there are also these little cnc tabletop cutters, will go up to 3/8", not cheap, but less than a new auto coldsaw.

The print will have a
size tolerance,
geometric tolerance,
hardness tolerance and a
surface finish tolerance.
Let that be your guide.
Not the internet.

-Doozer
I'm not asking for any of that information. I'm asking for ideas on how to shear it.

shearing will work, but will slightly deform the ends. I shear rod all the time, up to 1", on my 50 ton ironworker.
You can buy manual rod parters, which are made to shear round bars with only a little distortion.
Old US made di-acro- https://www.ebay.com/itm/386174969987
New Pakistani on ebay- https://www.ebay.com/itm/3942645709...MI4--onvjnhQMV_BKtBh1gHQ2KEAQYAiABEgKM7_D_BwE

pakistan has a 50 or so year old stainless steel industry, both making it, and fabricating it, so this rod parter is most likely ok, but, its mail order from pakistan, so, you pays your money, you takes your chances.

A cold saw with the right rpm and tooth count will do it too, and they do make semi-auto cold saws that will feed to a stop.

there are also these little cnc tabletop cutters, will go up to 3/8", not cheap, but less than a new auto coldsaw.
Good info here. Years ago I purchased an import made manual rod cutter and it did not work. An ironworker with no special die deforms the ends too much. I had a shop that had a tiny little shear doing them in the past, but they close a year a go.

I'm not asking for any of that information. I'm asking for ideas on how to shear it.
His point was that without knowing that information, the ideas you'll receive could be completely inappropriate for what you need. +/- a quarter inch is a hell of a lot different than a quarter thousandth. Square ends, or is some deformation ok? Just hand the neighbor kid a pair of bolt cutters and tell him to have at it.

Good info here. Years ago I purchased an import made manual rod cutter and it did not work. An ironworker with no special die deforms the ends too much. I had a shop that had a tiny little shear doing them in the past, but they close a year a go.
A good set of rod parting dies for an ironworker will have a pair of shearing dies, each with a round hole sized for your round bar- you dont shear it on the flat plate blades. If the dies are close enough to your bar, you get a pretty minor amount of deformation. If I was doing 4000 a year, I would probably have Geka or Cleveland make me a set of round bar dies with pretty accurate 1/8" round bar openings. Cutting 1/8" in a 3/8" hole is going to give you an ugly end.
But cutting with a saw is going to give you the best end condition.

Why shear? From the info provided you could wrap a bundle in det cord and blast them to length. More then accurate enough according to your standards.
Will that be enough heat treating?
BilL D

just buy an ejector pin cut off machine.
It's what it's for.
Cuts flat, finish grinds ends, and precision length with built in micrometer stop.
There are different sellers everywhere.
pin cutter
extremely fast

edit: We used to have a government radar contract that assembled a bunch on injection molded dishes together with like 8" 10-32 threaded rod.
we cut this stuff in the thousands per year also.

Last edited:
OK, I know you said shear but thousands each year.

I think I would clamp them in bundles and use a horizontal band saw. 10, 20, even 50 at a time. I can't imagine shearing them that fast.

And if the ends need to be cleaned up. buy or make a chamfer tool for that diameter. Pay a temp or a teenager to sit there and feed them, one by one, into the tool. It should only take a second or two for each end.

Many more available.

Why shear? From the info provided you could wrap a bundle in det cord and blast them to length. More then accurate enough according to your standards.
Will that be enough heat treating?
BilL D
Link to Det-Cord?

Regarding custom dies- could one have them made so that you place maybe 6 pieces of rod in the machine at it cuts them sequentially? Would keep you force down and your productivity up?

All this information is necessary to recommend a method to make your parts to length.
Also the print may specify a surface condition, such as passivation, to re-establish the chromium oxide layer.
Without information from the print, you are shooting in the dark.
People are suggesting hyperbolic methods because you did not
include enough relevant information.

-Doozer

Last edited:
Wire cutters exist aka carbide dies that oscillate but I’ve not seen 1/8 cut in SS, the pin cutter is far more sensible, a shear isn’t flat, usually a bottom burr etc
A metallurgical cutting wheel leaves a smooth surface, or relatively ( certainly not microscopically)
Mark

Back