What's new
What's new

Stark Lathe Identification

ordinaryworld

Plastic
I went to pick up a belt sander that I bought online for the bargain price of $25. The seller was clearing a house and asked me to look around for anything else I might want. I found a pair of small lathes and enquired as to the cost of one or the other and was offered both (and a whole bunch of tooling)for a price to good to refuse.

One of the lathes I recognized instantly as the Harbor Freight (Central Machinery) 7 x 10 Mini-Lathe. The other was clearly somewhat older, may 1960s or 70s? The only identification I could find was the brass plaque riveted to the fron ot the bed - Stark Tool Co. - MAKERS - Waltham, Mass. I've been looking around the internet for information but can't identify the model or age of the Stark lathe.

I've added some photos below and would appreciate any info

StarkLathe0M.jpg

StarkLathe1M.jpg

StarkLathe2M.jpg

PrattWitneyM.jpg

Stark Tool Co. was formed in 1862 and the name was changed to Stark Tool Co. Inc. in 1918. They lasted more than 30 years after incorporating. I see that they did not use the Inc. part of their name on lathes made after 1918, so i would guess your lathe dates 1920 to 1940. They used flat leather belts, so the V-belt grooves in the headstock pulley are likely a recent modification when someone attached the electric motor and countershaft.

There were a dozen or so companies making similar lathes in the 1880-1950 period. The slide rests from some could easily be used on other brand lathes, which explains the Pratt and Whitney slide rest you have. The slide rests on these lathes were usually the first thing to wear out, so they are often in bad shape. It is sometimes more practical to replace them with whatever can be made to work than to repair the original.

Stark lathes: Stark Lathes

Larry

Thanks, Larry.

I did check out that link but didn't see much to give a clue to the age. I emailed Tony to see if he can shed any light on it and offered up some better pictures.

Like you said, all the Stark models seem to have flat belts which suggests this may well be a modded lathe. Once you get past the unfamiliar pulleys, it makes identification as a #4 lathe more obvious.

Even the power switch looks like an afterthought and the style of switch and cable materials made me think 60s/70s, later than the end of Stark production in the 50s. The previous owner worked for GE in aviation engineering and the attached motor just happens to be branded GE. Coincidence? Unfortunately, he passed on a few years ago (which is why this was up for sale) so I can't confirm. Maybe this is where the trail goes cold?

Back