What's new
What's new

What are these bolts called, and where can I get them?

ADrummond

Hot Rolled
McMaster calls them binding screws for wood, but only has them in 1/4-20 and a bronze finish, which is not what I'm looking for. My local hardware store allegedly carries them, but the bin is always empty and they can't say when they'll get more. I've googled everything I can think of, with no luck. I'm looking for 5/16-18 threads, 40 or 50mm long, black oxide finish, but nickel or stainless would work too. Yes, these have inch threads, but everything else, including the hex socket, is metric. I only need a few right now, but I'd buy a box if I have to. Any ideas? Or at least a correct name for these things?

thanks,
Andrew

Picture2.png

Picture3.png

That is a Sex Bolt. Mostly have slotted head, but I have seen several different types. All different materials also.

Josh

I've used these for years, but I've never seen them in anything but 1/4-20. Ace and True-Value hardware stores sell them, as does my local Woodworker's Supply, in black or bronze and three or four screw lengths.

Do they absolutely have to be 5/16-18?

JCav

Thanks for finding the connector bolts, Mike. I'm familiar with the term sex bolts from my skateboarding days twenty years ago, but I haven't seen what I'm looking for under that name. They don't absolutely have to be 5/16-18, but that's what I've been using for this product and I'm hesitant to change if it can be avoided. I've been able to buy them from the local Ace, but as I said, they're often out of stock and I need a more reliable supplier. Looks like Amazon and Woodcraft have them, if I can deal with 1/4-20. I'll stop by the hardware store tomorrow and have a look at the empty box; maybe that will help.

Andrew

I received a catalog from this company, http://accuratemfg.com/ I believe they sell in 100 packs only, but they seem to have a wide range of sex bolts. I did not look through to see if they have you exact bolt. I have never order from them either, just was cold called a few years ago and thought they had a nice range of products.

Pete

In Lowes I saw a small display of replacement hardware for knock down furniture. that would be one place to look. Also try Outwater Plastics. they have lots of KD and POP HW stuff.
I have no idea what you are making, but for the nut side look at "T" nuts, insert nuts, etc etc. "T" nuts are very effective in wood and are dirt cheap and readily available.

If you are looking for the bolt half of this, try "sidewalk bolt". We had a box of 5/16-18 of slot headed ones from McMaster for a project.

don't ask me why thay are called that. I haven't got a clue.

Also there are "elevator bolts" in various sizes that may work for you. some of those have hex drives.

These bolts are used for furniture installation .They are not sex bolts.Sex bolts are used in hollow door hardware installations.A sex bolt has a lipped head ,fluted body and internal threads to receive machine screws.They typically are used to hold door closers,fire exit hardware etc on hollow wooden doors.The lipped head keeps the bolt from pulling thru,the flutes keep the body from turning.
Try googling furniture connector hardware. You may get the exact name.I have used these in the past,do not recall the different sizes they come in.
As far as sex bolts, I have used 1/4x20 ,8/32,10/32 and 10/24.
mike

i have quite a few in M6 and M8 with regular black oxide finish. pretty common in the fastener shops over here. i use them without the female part where i'm too lazy to counter sink for flat heads and don't want the ugliness of button heads.

The Ikea Allen keys are perfect for tightening the tool holder clamps on Biax scrapers. Was using one for the task 15 minutes ago.:D

The bookshelves might become unstable if I robbed the screws out of them though...

Back