What's new
What's new

Small Forged Jib Crane from Dillon Boiler

peter

Titanium
After seeing a very similar design crane photographed in the abandoned RR shop thread, I though I would snap a photo and post this crane. The former owner removed this from the Dillon Boiler Works shop on Water Street Fitchburg Mass. I believe that was sometime in the 1960's prior to demolition of the building. A sad foot note. He was given permission to remove a Putnam steam engine, but; the building burned down as a result of workers using cutting torches. He had a few day to begin removal of what he considered historic items then it came to an abrupt halt. Now, the site is a Market Basket, the man who saved the few items is also passed away.

Here is the old crane, and a few misc Dillon images. The company remains in business on Crawford St, Fitchburg in a smaller up to date facility. Dillon is credited as the first company to build a steel boiler in the USA. Those were allowed higher pressure than iron by the Hartford insurance company.

I really like to find a small No1 Dillon Boiler front, similar to 2nd photo.

(If I know you guys and I think I do, you will be asking. The background is a small sawmill in storage)

Attachments

• DillonBoilerShop_Crane1.jpg
    DillonBoilerShop_Crane1.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 406
  • Boiler_Front_1919_No1.JPG
    Boiler_Front_1919_No1.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 841
  • 114-1480_IMG.jpg
    114-1480_IMG.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 1,139
  • DB_Framed_resize.jpg
    DB_Framed_resize.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 424
  • Old_DillonBoiler.jpg
    Old_DillonBoiler.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 425
After seeing a very similar design crane photographed in the abandoned RR shop thread, I though I would snap a photo and post this crane. The former owner removed this from the Dillon Boiler Works shop on Water Street Fitchburg Mass. I believe that was sometime in the 1960's prior to demolition of the building. A sad foot note. He was given permission to remove a Putnam steam engine, but; the building burned down as a result of workers using cutting torches. He had a few day to begin removal of what he considered historic items then it came to an abrupt halt. Now, the site is a Market Basket, the man who saved the few items is also passed away.

Here is the old crane, and a few misc Dillon images. The company remains in business on Crawford St, Fitchburg in a smaller up to date facility. Dillon is credited as the first company to build a steel boiler in the USA. Those were allowed higher pressure than iron by the Hartford insurance company.

I really like to find a small No1 Dillon Boiler front, similar to 2nd photo.

(If I know you guys and I think I do, you will be asking. The background is a small sawmill in storage)

Your first picture looks like a picture from an earlier post today. hope i am doing this right?
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...4t-abandoned-rr-shop-machinery-img_3154_1.jpg

I like the rusty surface photo in the middle. Where is that boiler? I used to see the cast iron company logos around for sale but haven’t recently.

On my long to-do list is build a little jib crane like yours for my forge - It only needs to be about seven feet long.

The rusty boiler front is outside a condo complex in Fitchburg, corner of Crawford and Bemis. It is a big one. You can walk right over it. Thats why you see grass growing. Yard art.

Back