What's new
What's new

Jack of all trades, wanting to travel !

Maverickmachinist

Cast Iron
I lost my job a little while ago. I have applied to Navy job but wont know if it comes through for a while. I am up in the air as to what I really want to do now. I really want to learn new things and travel. I have worked in machine shops for the last four years and I really want to pursue other fields of interest. Working on hot rods or restoration cars, working on boats {engine room if I can}, pretty much anything I can do with tools and my hands. I just really want to travel and learn new things. I am not very picky about anything I will live in a tent and eat beans if I have to. Money isn't a big deal either I just want a fair wage enough to live on and have beer money. Any advise or comments are welcome thanks a lot. Should I put this in general forum to?

The time will come when you will have a wife and children,then you will need a home. Then you will
need a lot more than beer money.The job market is changing faster than it used to. The people picking and choosing at companys have degrees and
look more favorably to applicants who are educated. This is something that requires serious thought. I'm 66 now and have only missed 2mo.work
due to layoff. Times are different now and manufacturing ain't what it used to be.
Best of luck to you, Old Bill
P.S. It is very hard to obtain a degree while
working and supporting a family.

Maybe you should check with that cruzinonline guy. He has jobs with travel.

B.E.&K., Fluor Daniels and others offer temp. shut-down work at various locations/plants throughout the world. Most pay very good with OT and per diem. A lot of plants have machine shops and need talented help. Good luck!

Just another note to consider Ray McKinney (cruzinonline). If you have not read previous posts on his company (Continental Field Services)
They have people living throughout the country. Then, when a call comes in for a job anywhere in North America, they assign people, get the resources moved to the job, and transport the people. I met guys who lived all over the US who came into Savannah for training. Some chose to work six months of the year (might get 1600 hours with overtime in that period), and play the other 6. Some chose to work full time. Most made enough points on their company hotel assignments to travel with free lodging on their own extended vacation travel.

The expectations are dedication, honesty, interest in continued professional development, and bring your full brainpower to the job. They train constantly on site in Savannah. When you are on a job, (powerplants) they own you 24/7 until that job is done. Married guys without children sometimes travel with their wives. But if it matches your family circumstances and personality, it is a heck of a gig. Wish I was younger and had had more direct machine shop training.

And if Ray wins the presidency, who knows where it could lead?

What Mr Thomas is talking about is called "FIELD MACHINING " and for a single guy with no commitments it can be a great way of life.

Some companies to check are Orbital Tool , Team Industrial Service , DL Ricci , Siemens , Reynolds French,etc,etc...

Just search 'field machinist' and then add 'turbine' to find the co's .

Perdium is tax free , you generally are slow in the middle of winter and middle of summer.Good field machinists make anywhere from 40k -120k a year. A passport is a big plus. Alot of co's in the Chicago and Houston areas are looking right now.

r-f.com

Check out the Reynolds-French web site. Field machine work and casting repair. I was in Maine teo weeks ago, Oklahoma City last week, and I'm in Wyoming this week.

Sounds like you may want to become a Mechanic/Tech!

Here in No. Nevada we seem to only have ONE guy who can actually repair machines!

He gets to pick and choose his work, far more of it available than he can handle.
Does a lot of travel.

I've been waiting for him to come by for month's.

You will need to know how to machine, repair the machines, and electronics.
Lots to learn, but great pay if you get the skills.

I just wish some one had let me know about this thirty years ago, when it would have been an opportunity for me.

Back