What's new
What's new

D1-6 camlock spindle nose removal

sailah

Plastic
Hi, apologize for the question which I assume is pretty basic.

I bought a 16" lathe for my machinist at work to replace a Clausing 16" lathe that trashed its clutch.

Bill comes to me and says his Royal collet closer won't work because the tapers are different. We checked the spindle taper and it appears the new lathe uses a MT6 as does the Clausing but they have different gauge lines.

At this point it is faster and simpler to just swap the camlocks over if that is possible? Is it and how would one go about removing the entire camlock from the spindle? Not entirely obvious how it's held on there but I'm not a machinist, I just pretend like I am haha.

Thanks in advance

The Camlock may be part of the spindle. or as Ive seen usually is.

Interesting. I looked over both lathes and they look identical in terms of the camlock. I can't believe they would make them one unit but hard to tell. If you remove the cap screws that retain the cams, it looks like it is screwing into different metal.

If the "new lathe" was made in Asia it probably does not have a Morse 6 taper. It has a metric 6 taper which is different.

Bruce

Thanks, it's an older lathe not made here. Probably the only machine among 100 B&S screw machines, radial drills etc that I can't name. Thanks for the tip I'll measure the spindle more accurately.

I have a jfk # 72 adapter that is a 6 morse taper that might have a different gauge line.

I'm interested I'll send you a PM with questions.

Thanks

The D1-6" (or any other size) is most assuredly part of the spindle.

The removal of detail parts is all that it possible - such as the cams and their retaining screws

Last edited:
I ran into a somewhat similar problem in a lathe that looks a lot like that one. Manual said the spindle was an MT6 taper.

First issue is that that only means angle. Not actually the size that would show up anywhere on a dead center or the like. My particular spindle hole was 2.155" at the gauge line. The base of a MT6 is supposed to be 2.116" but in practice I couldn't even get the very bottom of an actual MT6 center to fit in. So while the taper was supposed to be MT6 it didn't actually mean you could fit in any MT6 tooling.

My moment of huge cursing came when I measured the taper. MT6 is as I recall 1,29'36", mine measured 1,23'10". So I ended up making an arbor to fit the 5C collet adapter and hard turned it to size. Was about .0008" per side and required moving the back face of the adapter forward so the gauge spacing was right but then all was good.

So if your collet adapter is the wrong size hope it is bigger and you can turn it.

Or even easier if time is of the essence call Valencia at JFK Precision in SoCal and they can make you one to your spec for a few hundred bucks and you will be up and running in no time without having to mess with anything. They have a library of thousands of spindle sizes he said so could make anything if you told him the make and model of lathe. Just a thought.

I can't get the pic to open so I'll just have to do the best I can

1. AFAIK, Clausing or Colchester never made a 16" lathe. 15 or 17"(newer are 18")since the 60s.

2. The 15" Clausing had a D1-4 spindle nose, the 15" Colchester had a D1-6, and the 17" Colchester had a D1-8 spindle nose. They don't interchange!

3. The internal taper of the spindle nose went from 4, to 4 1/2 and 5, but only on the 15" machines. The 17" lathes don't have an ID taper.
JR

Thanks, it's an older lathe not made here. Probably the only machine among 100 B&S screw machines, radial drills etc that I can't name.

Post up a few pics of the entire lathe. You may not be able to identify it, but I bet someone here probably can.

Back