What's new
What's new

Morse taper draw bar to tang

neilca

Aluminum
I purchased a set of chucks for my lathe. The have a #2 MT and are made to use a drawbar, 3/8-16. I want to use them without the draw bar in the tailstock. However if I were to put them in the tail stock I am afraid I will never be able to remove them because they are missing the tang that bumps on the back of the tailstock when it is retracked fully.

Before I start making these threaded tangs I thought I would post to see if there is a source where I can buy them. Anybody know of such a product?

Thanks,
neilca

Bike builder,
I tried putting it in soft. It would not come out. I used a piece of metal on the outside to limit the travel of the chuck and it came out. I guess I could use a fork like device on the outside and hope it doesn't come off the chuck taper side.

Starbolin,
Good thought, not as pretty as a screw in tang but effective.

Thanks,

those tapers are ment for a jig bore

chuck up some MS, turn a 3/8 thread on one side and turn a nice little stub turn dia to same thickness of a reg morse#3 tang)

put some mild lock-tite on the threads and screw them into your tapers with a pipe wrench (bingo, screw on tang)

alot more professional than a shitty peice of ready rod....you could even do the same with some 4140 and harden it with a torch...whatever rocks your boat eh

neilca, starbolin had the way to make them work. If you put a 3/8" cap screw long enough to have the hand wheel pop the taper out you can use them in the tail stock. You don't have to locktite them in because you may want to use the drawbar with them.

BTW, they are not called collets, they are called end mill holders or drill holders. If you use a drill in them you will have to grind a flat on the drill shank to keep them from spinning. As a matter of fact anything you use in them will have to have a flat under the set screw to keep it from spinning.

Back