What's new
What's new

Part Polishers, what type of microscope do you use?

ttrager

Cast Iron
The title sums it up.

Our application is the polishing of tooling we make for molding customers. Typically, these are parts .300 to 1.5" in dia in some form of steel or perhaps Moldmax/Moldstar copper alloy.

Surfaces range from basic ODs and Radius to intricate molding surfaces.

We have two polishers who are currently using a basic, binocular type microscope as they dynamically handle the part during polishing.

We are investigating an improvement on that, as the current setup isn't ergonomic over hours worth of having eyes glued to the binocs.

There are digital microscopes out there with output to a flatscreen. But the one's I've seen so far have a fairly large screen sitting to the side of the microscope on the table. This is fine for a static part viewing / measuring. There's no real posture issue tied to real-time part manipulation.

Anyway, any feedback from a shop running polishers using microscopes would be helpful.

Regards

These are incredibly ergonomic, and much easier to get a full field of view without any blurriness than a standard stereo microscope, in my experience. More or less infinite adjustment for comfort, adjustable for different papillary distances (distance between the users' pupils)

Only downside I can think of is you need a different lens for each magnification level you want, and the max magnification is 20x.

Mantis - Vision Engineering

There's also the rather cheaper USB/screen scopes that are small. They come with a stand that would be hopeless for OP's applcation - but there's no reason to not remount them onto some other sort of stand - make an adapter to put them at the end of one of the very large noga arms say. Then rig up some lighting.

I've had decent luck with mine, but I've not tried an hours long finishing task with it.

(Here's one made famous by a pointer from NY CNC - others have followed. - including me.)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J4K3JV9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The mantis looks excellent but no pricing on the website, any idea what these cost Teach?

These are incredibly ergonomic, and much easier to get a full field of view without any blurriness than a standard stereo microscope, in my experience. More or less infinite adjustment for comfort, adjustable for different papillary distances (distance between the users' pupils)

Only downside I can think of is you need a different lens for each magnification level you want, and the max magnification is 20x.

Mantis - Vision Engineering

You might consider a Leica microscope. Depending where you look, some start around 1.5K and go up. They are used by many jewelers and engravers who spend hours behind them.

Here is a site that shows some pricing along with some reviews on them. I have No affiliation with this site. Leica S7E Microscope - Precision Artistry LLC

Most traditional microscopes are intended to primarily view things that are transparent or translucent: that is the light passes THROUGH them. If you are talking about viewing the surface of an opaque object, then it must be illuminated from above and the way it is illuminated becomes very important. Yes, the optics are important, but the illumination is, perhaps, more so.

Edmund Optics is one place where I would look.

Microscopy | Mitutoyo, Nikon, Olympus and More | Edmund Optics

Beege,

Are you using these for polishing? I ask as the format of the scope is critical it would seem. Meaning, a free floating head that can be positioned as needed as Polishers are manipulating parts in their fingers. The Mantis looks to have that type of build. Thanks for the reply. :D

I would like to thank all the responders in this thread. There are some good pointers in here. I particularly like the tip off to the Mantis, as well as to the Artistry site as that is a direct parallel in user environment, with a whole site dedicated to supporting that with tools and scopes.

Anyone else out there have more, obviously drop a post in this thread.

Stay safe out there. /salute

Tom

ttrager
It's been almost 20 years...
B&L had several options for holding the scope head, including a cantilevered arm so that the stand could be offset and the head could be moved around

Back