What's new
What's new

Replacing Kennedy Box Locks....

Davis In SC

Diamond
Looking at replacing locks on 8 or 10 Kennedy boxes with missing keys. Will Kennedy sell keys by the lock number? I can understand then not doing this.

Or: Are these locks unique to Kennedy, or are there direct drop-ins from National Lock/CompX, etc ? Buying a bunch of locks from Kennedy will get pricy in a hurry...

Looking at replacing locks on 8 or 10 Kennedy boxes with missing keys. Will Kennedy sell keys by the lock number? I can understand then not doing this.

Or: Are these locks unique to Kennedy, or are there direct drop-ins from National Lock/CompX, etc ? Buying a bunch of locks from Kennedy will get pricy in a hurry...

AFAK, Kennedy never made a lock, nor the latch-straps. They bought those from the "usual suspects" of a given era. Many of those made rivet-compatibles, so it should not be that hard to acquire all you need plus a stash of spares for next-go.

We surely did it for Zero-Halliburton case latch and lockware, and they made Kennedy look like K-Mart.

I bought a bunch of Kennedy items from the factory store in Van Wert, OH, about 30 miles from me. At one time, when I got a new item with a lock, I traded the original lock for a new lock with the same key as my first Kennedy box. The factory has a huge stock of locks sorted by key number. My locks are all the old flat key type, but they have the cylindrical key locks on some of their units. If the box is open, it just takes seconds to remove the lock and install a new one. I never needed to buy just a key, so I can't say what they do for such a request.. But the store has a phone and very helpful people, so a call will get you the answer.

Customer Service for assistance at 1.800.413.8665 – 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (EST, Monday – Friday).

Larry

I regularly buy used Kennedy 520B 7-drawer machinist chests, sometimes with keys, for less than the retail cost plus shipping of a new lock and keys from Kennedy or Grainger ($48.85+ plus shipping.)

KENNEDY
Lock, No Cam With (2) Flat Keys

Item # 24JM14
Mfr. Model # 80844
Lock, No Cam with (2) Flat Keys, For Use With Grainger Item Number 4NFK9, 4NFL1, 4NFL2, 33M638, 33M639,...More

Category : Hand Tool Replacement Parts
Web Price
$48.85 / each

jack vines

A very common model of Kennedy lock sells for $25 including shipping on Amazon. Lock & Key Set - Cabinet And Furniture Locks - Amazon.com

I have a like new spare lock and key like that one, but older, that I will sell for $10 including shipping. Note that the key number is stamped on the cam, out of sight when installed, rather than on the outside of the cylinder. The shape of the lock bezel changed from quarter round to bevelled some time back, maybe 25 years ago.

My newest Kennedy rollaway seems to have the "no cam" type of lock. They are a lot less than $49 on Amazon, just $23 including shipping. Lock & Key Set - Cabinet And Furniture Locks - Amazon.com Kennedy sells them for $20 plus shipping or one key only for $13.80 plus shipping. http://buykennedy.com/product/80840/

If wanting more than one lock set on Amazon, some sellers have them for a lower price with shipping extra, so the total cost may be less on a larger order if they figure the shipping fairly.

You can buy generic cam locks cheap (2 for $4.50), but they are retained with a big nut instead of a spring clip and the cam is then installed with a second nut. They might be more difficult to install in a Kennedy box, depending on the model. Amazon.com: Cam Lock - WL File Cabinet Mailbox Drawer Toolboxes Cam Lock Replacement 2 Sets: Home Improvement

Larry

DSC01163.jpgDSC01164.jpgDSC01165.jpg

This is interesting. ( especially Larry's post! Thanks, Larry! ;) ) A few years back I tried to purchase more locks of this type from Kennedy and was told that they no longer sell them. One was directed to purchase barrel key locks instead. I declined as it was my practice to purchase locks of the same key/tumbler number in effort to keep all my boxes keyed alike. ( at one point about 13 of them ) I guess that they abandoned this and went back to selling them? Do they allow the purchase of specific numbers again?

... Do they allow the purchase of specific numbers again?

On that Kennedy page with the lock, they give you the option of having all locks keyed alike if you get more than one lock. That means they still have the locks in bins sorted by key number. But their current locks might not use the same key blank as their older locks. So give them your key number and ask them.

Larry

A strip of duct tape is way more secure than any Kennedy lock. Just sayin.

It's not about real security, and never has been. That's a whole other discussion, to be sure. Kennedy locks are about keeping honest people honest, and privacy. I can pick a Kennedy in less than 10 seconds and was frequently asked to when I was an employee in a shop. ( and it is not like I am that good; they're that easy ) People forget their keys in the morning, or locked them inside the box inadvertently. It is simply a prudent thing to do in a shop with others. Here, well... there are no others... So when I can't find something I know exactly who to blame. :D

My Kennedy tool chest is what I consider a new generation chest, and is probably 20 or 30 years old. The keys are still fastened with a tack like something to the top on the green felt near the mirror. The keys are marked "Excelsor" and appear to be for a warded rather than a pin tumbler lock. The lock is external to the structure and not in a mortise or hole. It appears to be fastened to the box with smooth headed rivets. Feeling through the felt behind the lock, I think that the fasteners are split rivets. Being a warded lock, I expect that the lock would be extremely easy to pick, or readily opened with a key with the warded section removed. If one could measure the position of the wards inside the lock, it would be easy to file a key blank to fit the lock.

the lock would be extremely easy to pick

Old or new, they are actually easier to "manipulate" with a near-enough other key than to "pick". DAMHIKT, but several hundred office cabinets in just the one building, and a few of us got more than just fast at that.

Locks, in general, these, in particular, are but a "signal" meant to keep honest people out.

If you have the other kind, the Kennedy itself won't even slow them down. You need "area" protection of some kind.

Different subject, that is. These are "convenience" locks, only.

I called Kennedy a week ago and they no longer have the flat key locks so I am forced to convert all of my boxes to the new round key locks.

So I ordered 4 locks and now all 5 boxes will be keyed the same.

The Lady I spoke to in customer service was very knowledgeable and helpful

I called Kennedy a week ago and they no longer have the flat key locks so I am forced to convert all of my boxes to the new round key locks.

So I ordered 4 locks and now all 5 boxes will be keyed the same.

The Lady I spoke to in customer service was very knowledgeable and helpful
Do you want to get rid of your old locks and keys? I need a few for missing ones on my boxes?

Back