What's new
What's new

Series 61 restore photos.. start to finish

ToolCat

Aluminum
Series 61 restore photos.. start to finish...

Okay, I tried to post all 26 photos in the forum but the
Administrator must have the photo posting limit set only to 10.
willy_nilly.gif

So I'll post just one pic of the start of the restore and two of it completed.
I uploaded the remainder of the photos to my website. Here is a link to them.

_DSC3559.jpg

_DSC3896.jpg

_DSC3898.jpg

Don't forget to wipe your feet!

Sweet machine. I especially like the rug in front of the lathe. Did you have to do much/any mechanical work it? The rest of the pictures from the shop look great. I've never seen a Hardinge Cataract mill. Cool stuff.

Very nice job Steve! How many hours do you think you have in it?

A couple more questions:
  1. What is the red filler that you used?
  2. It looks like you painted it in place. How did you control overspray?
Cal

ions82, It is a Persian Rug... Nothing but the best for the shop! :)
Actually my wife donates these rugs after she decides they are too worn out for the house.

I've been on the project since January. Evenings and weekends.
The bottom of carriage had turcite on it already. This probably saved the bed because the oiling system was plugged up. I glued .015" thick turcite to the bottom of the cross feed slide and scraped it using a surface plate. Then used it to fit to the mating slide on the carriage. The dovetail on the left side of the slide was worn with a bow. Got it scraped out straight and had to add another .010" shim to the gib along with the .015" high turcite.
Rapid transverse gears were worn and had new gears made for that. Bearings in the clutch were bad, also replaced all the bearings in the taper attachment. Replaced the restrictor oil valves in the carriage, gearbox and head. There was one between the gearbox and head that was challenging to replace. Found a time clock factory ticket used as a shim in the carriage. It had a date of 1983 written it. So I assume this was the last time it was gone through and the turcite was added to the bottom of the carriage.

The bed bracket for the taper attachment was missing. Ordered one from Monarch for $695.
It was in stock, so it must be one of the usual missing items people order.
Also the threading dial bracket was missing, $1223 for that.
The engraved metal index plate was also missing, $451
The parts may be expensive from Monarch but they are first rate quality. The service, people and parts at Monarch are super! Thank you Monarch!

Cal, I used bondo lacquer spot putty for filler. Probably 50 tubes to fill the rough castings. Paint is from a can. Maybe 15 cans of primer and 25 cans of paint. Krylon #1611 Universal Gray Engine Paint. It is a little more of a darker blue grey compared to other grey machine paints I can find in a can. I've decided it easier using can paint simply because it is so easy to repair. I keep extra around along with the spot putty, and it is fast to repair damaged paint.

Last edited:
I've decided it easier using can paint simply because it is so easy to repair. I keep extra around along with the spot putty, and it is fast to repair damaged paint.

My logic too! The most used tool in my shop is a 17" Delta Drillpress that I wirebrushed and painted with Krylon 15 years ago. There isn't a single chip in the paint, and I've filled the trough with metal drillings so many times I can't begin to guess.

... I used bondo lacquer spot putty for filler. Probably 50 tubes to fill the rough castings. Paint is from a can. Maybe 15 cans of primer and 25 cans of paint. Krylon #1611 Universal Gray Engine Paint. ...
I worry about overspray from aerosol cans. My shop is pretty small, with lots of other machines, tooling and gages in close proximity. Is overspray a problem for you?

Cal

What was a worse mess than spraying paint was removing the old paint and filler with a wire wheel on a grinder. It coated everything. I used plastic sheet over the other machines and benches in the room. Make sure you have a way to get the paint fumes out of the room. I could open a large door and used a fan.

Wow

All I can think of to say right now is WOW :willy_nilly:

What a nice shop and set of machines to work with, fine looking stuff you have there.

Nice work,
I was dismayed to see the chuck key in the drill chuck.....can be very dangerous....lol!
Do you have any sons that want to take over your legacy?????
If you don't then you can sign me up! (or adopt me)
Hey wait a minute, maybe I'm older than you??
M. Moore

M.Moore, the chuck key pictured above doesn't rotate...and while maybe not the greatest place to store it...I think there is little danger of it being thrown off.

Steve, I am curious about the tumbler lever on your lathe (the one not painted).

Mine is also broken thru one of the casting ears. But that design looks a lot more solid.

Also I have a chintzy rotating peg that was added to the main carriage handwheel. I figured that this was a quickly done replacement for the original. However I noted your lathe does not have it...but a lightbulb went on that maybe none was intended, since you have the rapid-traverse option.

Of course I'm very impressed with the restoration!

monarch_61_11.JPG

Matt, You’re right, our tumbler levers look different. I wonder if Monarch made two styles. You should be able to order a new lever through Monarch. Re: Carriage wheel: Yes, I just took it that Monarch didn’t put a peg on the carriage hand wheels if the machine had a raid-traverse. I don’t know though.

M. Moore, Thanks. Yup that chuck key in the tailstock can fly out of the non-rotating chuck at any time. LOL! I try not to do that in the headstock though! :)

Usmachine and Ohio Farmer, Thank you!!

Peter, Thank you. I use the machines to make hand engraving equipment. Here is a link to the equipment site: www.airgraver.com

Steve

Last edited:
Steve, the video (watched the entire show) and examples of engraving on your site are very beautiful. In fact, your website kept me enthralled for several hours. Did some engraving long ago (tap, tap, tap) and might have kept at it with a tool such as yours. Very slick and it's always a pleasure to watch a master craftsman at his craft.

Nice job on the lathe too. It looked partcularly good in the background of some photos on your site.

Back