What's new
What's new

southbend 9 serial number id? 32464 NK R8

Savedbygrace77

Aluminum
Hi all - trying to get an estimated year on my lathe.. Ive visited numerous sites but either the number isnt there or the calculations are beyond my math scope of experience :) Ive got the whole apron and tool post down for complete teardown and paint.

I love the Ford grey but wont mind considering the dark olive greenish southbend color -

Also - can I replace the half nut? I have no point of reference but wouldnt a worn half nut not thread accurately?

Thanks!

Hi all - trying to get an estimated year on my lathe

32464 N is about early fifties - Maybe '52 or '53

Per Serial Number Reference Book For Metal Working Machinery

Calculations? Never heard of such being serial related

Thanks!

see here about the calculation - curious if it works or not

"thanks to the efforts of Geoff Swayze, to calculate an approximate date of manufacture - to plus or minus one year or so - if you enter the serial number (stamped at the tailstock-end of the bed) raised to the power of 0.0059 then multiplied by 1812.
The procedure is as follows:
On a scientific calculator (the one with any version of Windows will suffice) enter the serial number, say 84243; then hit the X^Y key (X with a superscript Y); type in 0.0059 then hit the "=" key followed by the multiplication key (*) followed by 1812. You should obtain 1937.4 which is within one year of the real date of manufacture, 1938."

How Old is my South Bend

32464 N is about early fifties - Maybe '52 or '53

Per Serial Number Reference Book For Metal Working Machinery

Calculations? Never heard of such being serial related

Also - on the aprons large wheel, is the small finger handle on the apron supposed to rotate? Mine is fixed- so it slips in my hand when I use it.. about to clear coat the handle so not sure if it needs to be freed (possibly with heat) before I paint it..

Also - on the aprons large wheel, is the small finger handle on the apron supposed to rotate? Mine is fixed- so it slips in my hand when I use it.. about to clear coat the handle so not sure if it needs to be freed (possibly with heat) before I paint it..

If you refer to apron clutch knob you tighten it up (CW) to make feed work

SB Apron Controls.jpg

No, the little 'bat' handles on SB lathes generally do not rotate. I actually prefer it that way, gives you more feel of the cut. Also, I would not clearcoat anything. It will just peel off later, and cut you with its sharp edges. Bare parts should be either oiled or handled routinely.

allan

No, the little 'bat' handles on SB lathes generally do not rotate. I actually prefer it that way, gives you more feel of the cut. Also, I would not clearcoat anything. It will just peel off later, and cut you with its sharp edges. Bare parts should be either oiled or handled routinely.

allan
I'll add too that many want to clear-coat parts to keep them shiney and pretty, and from my experience it never lasts. The clear coat actually stifles a lot of shine and in short time starts to get a little yellow ting from age, dirt, and oil, and long term will just look like a grimey surface.

+1 keep it bare but well oiled. If you are going to be away from the machine for a long time, heavier oil or even a wax finish, as it will clean off much easier than clear paint.

Hi all - trying to get an estimated year on my lathe.. Ive visited numerous sites but either the number isnt there or the calculations are beyond my math scope of experience :) Ive got the whole apron and tool post down for complete teardown and paint.

I love the Ford grey but wont mind considering the dark olive greenish southbend color -

Also - can I replace the half nut? I have no point of reference but wouldnt a worn half nut not thread accurately?

Thanks!

my 9A is 33185 N A R9 and was made in 1953.

Back