What's new
What's new

AXA or BXA for 11" Delta?

WizardOfBoz

Diamond
All, I have been trying to do lathe stuff without a proper, working lathe. I've asked how to do lathe stuff (like opening a 1.62 ID aluminum tube to 1.64) and folks have said "Gee, why don't use use a lathe?". I have a Monarch 10ee in very clapped out nonfunctional shap, an A___s (a lathe not to be mentioned here) in pieces, and an old Delta woodworking lathe. The latter does have a jackshaft and so I can use it for light, non-ferrous work (like removing 0.01 from the id of an aluminum tube). It also has a compound slide, designed just for such work. The problem is that it has a lantern type tool post. Rather than invest in a boring bar holder for that tool post, I was thinking of buying a proper QCTP. Others have done this, and so I'm pretty sure it will work.

My question is whether to buy an AXA or BXA post. The vertical distance from the mounting surface on the compound to the center axis of the spindle is 1.5 inches. Shars gives the range for the base to the point of the tool AXA post as 0.94-1.67" with a 1/2 tool and CCMT insert. For the BXA, that distance range is 1.13-2.14" with a 5/8 tool and CCMT insert. The BXA would seem to bracket the 1.5 inch distance better. Also, when I get my A___s lathe working, it is better suited to that lathe.

I'm leaning BXA. What am I missing?

The BXA would seem to bracket the 1.5 inch distance better. Also, when I get my A___s lathe working, it is better suited to that lathe.

I'm leaning BXA. What am I missing?
Nothing at all. Your assessment is sound. 1/2" is getting to be really small. You're going to discover that 5/8" is even borderline. The BXA will be more rigid, have more used tool blocks available for it and holds a wider range of tools. If it fits your current lathe and also migrates well to your Acerbis lathe, that's probably your answer.

Nothing at all. Your assessment is sound. 1/2" is getting to be really small. You're going to discover that 5/8" is even borderline. The BXA will be more rigid, have more used tool blocks available for it and holds a wider range of tools. If it fits your current lathe and also migrates well to your Acerbis lathe, that's probably your answer.
Helpful feedback. Shars offers two levels of turning and facing, and turning and facing and boring holders. You can buy one that takes a 3/4 shank tool holder rather than a 5/8.
Plus, I smile every time I read your username, Donkey.

I'd vote AXA, but only because it's what I've used for similar sized machines (10-12"). I've never had issue with it's rigidity, given it's been on basic tool-room lathes and not heavy metal-moving engine lathes. They overlap of course, but I see BXA as more of a 13-14" swing application, and CXA as 15-18" swing.

I would vote either way depending on your future choices.

Rather than mill the bxa tool post bottom off, or the tools, both of which are irreversible, you can machine the tool holders to lower the tool, even a whole 1/4”, the holders will still be plenty stiff for a sub 5 hp lathe.

5/8 toolholders are available for AXA toolposts. Look it up(generally listed as 1XL, or something similar). Handy to have if you're looking for used tooling. There's more available 5/8 than 1/2. Most of the so called 1/2 is actually 12MM if you're buying new.

The tools are marketed as English sizes, but are generally Metric on Fleabay. So be careful. Shars actually sells 1/2.

Shank size only matters, on a small lathe, if you have a lot of overhang. Generally the smaller lathes(I run a 13" lathe) are so wobbly that you don't gain much by using 5/8 tooling(although I do).

Chatter is mostly caused by the light weight of the machine. Either reduce DOC, feed, or speed, to eliminate it.

Anyways..............you'll be amply served by an AXA toolpost.

Back