What's new
What's new

Designing Timing Belts, Pitch Diameter ~ Outer Circle???

laminar-flow

Stainless
The project is to calculate the timing belt length when buying two pulleys. On McMaster the pulley shows the pitch diameter and the belt shows the outer circle diameter. I can't find the belt thickness anywhere which is what I think I need to accurately size the belt length. Is there something I am missing?

In theory, for the toothed belts I've seen, the "pitch diameter" is calculated in the middle of the belt (crosswise) ... but I don't see the point, it's an imaginary number, what you'd normally care about is the number of teeth and the o.d. ?

We probably have a dozen or more timing belt drives on every machine we design and build, and we just use the calculator from Optibelt to find belt length. There is a formula for calculating belt length, but believe me it's a long winded thing - the calculator will give you the best answer and belt suggestions in seconds.
All you need are the timing pulley pitch diameters and the distance between centres to find the right belt length (or the closest length to it).
I can't access our calculator as I'm still signed off work recovering after a heart problem (and the Optibelt calculator needs a pre-approved download), but I can give you a link to another online one I sometime use, but there will be more than a few calculators online to use.

Gates also has good info and calculators on their web site.

Back