What's new
What's new

EASTEC 2023

Trade shows have been dying over the past decade. For a smallish company its too expensive, and for a larger company you probably want to be able to display anytime a potential customer is shopping, not just a few days a year. Only 3 buildings left in use, and all 3 were not at capacity. Very limited machines onsite, there were entire market segments missing this year. Ill tell you the SME sales guy that wanted an exhibitor commitment for the next show in 2025 was pretty crushed when he didnt get it. Got the sense that was the answer he was getting a lot and was worried for his job..

So, I truly hope they figure out the exhibitor attendance (or lack thereof) before the show is completely cancelled.

Case in point, I found a stereo microscope with camera for visual inspection from a brand I did not even think of.
Discovered that Mitutoyo might not be the only game in town for a reasonably priced optical comparator.
Found a few tools that would have taken an explicit look through pages and pages worth of catalogs without actually seeing it on a table.

I have had many a booth at trade shows in my time. When a show has a very strong attendance the promoters tend to charge more, and charge additional fees for imaginary items. Oh, you have a corner. Bend over please. Can you afford lubricant?
Island booth! $900 for wire under carpet. No, you only rent the wire. Compressed air for an island comes from above. Yup, gotta go see Mr Ben Dover. I was in the promoters booth screaming at them because of extra fees. Woman behind the counter was threatening to kill my power and air. THEN DO IT, SEE HOW YOUR SHOW GOES AFTER THAT! They remover the wire rental. Guy behind me was just as pissed. Thousands to unload a CNC router. They trucked it to the site on a flat bed. Parked the truck exactly where they wanted it. Forklift drove up, lifted it, truck drove out, set it down. Show died that year.

Really wanted to finally get back this year after missing it for the last 6 or 7 years. As per usual, a big important job that needs my attentions lands in the shop..

Oh well. Maybe next year.

Back