What's new
What's new

Haimer repair?

Has anyone had any luck with the digital version?!

I crashed my digital 3d taster in Z, the tool dropped from the spindle and went down perfectly centered, it actually shoved the tip into the threaded connector. I get an error of 0.004" or 0.1mm when touching off a 123 block. The tip was centered up within a tenth. I took a look and found a single brass screw with a small shaft on it hidden in the back of the probe behind the sticker. As you can see it is badly bent. Haimer said they won't supply parts. I can straighten it out or make a new one maybe.
IMG_5181.jpg
Any help would be appreciated!!

I fixed it!!!

This is for anyone that has dropped their Haimer Digital 3D taster in the Z direction. My taster was dropped during a tool change error. It fell directly in the Z direction. I replaced the tip and corrected the run out but when measuring a 123 block in the machine it would show me that the block is 0.004" or 0.1mm smaller than the nominal dimensions.

I peeled back the sticker on the probe and found a small brass screw that was bent. I am not entirely sure of its official function but I think it is a shear pin type screw to protect the internal mechanism during a crash. As you can see mine was bent quite badly. IMG_5181.jpg

I reached out to Haimer but they said they do not sell spares and require the unit to be sent to Germany.

I took a piece of round stock and drilled a 1.5mm hole in the end and inserted the tip of the bent screw. I used an indicator touching the head of the screw to find the high spot and tapped it back. After about 10 min of tapping around I got it within a couple thou. After putting it back in the probe and testing in the machine I was within 3 tenths on all my tests, most were around 1-2 tenths.IMG_5228.jpgIMG_5229.jpg

I am pretty happy with the result and not to have toasted a $1000 taster over a 2$ screw. If anyone has made replacement screws let me know! If you need any help let me know! I hope someone finds this and is able to restore their device.

Back