What's new
What's new

Help with Hitachi WJ200 Relay inputs

dbransco

Plastic
I would like to add a cooling fan to my vfd enclosure. The vfd is a Hitachi WJ200-015SF. I have 220v single phase coming into the box/vfd for 3 phase output to a Bridgeport 2hp Series II. I purchased a 220v fan (has 2 wires) and was hoping/ thinking I could utilize the relay logic (A0, A1 & A2) with a RUN signal. I am new and not all that knowledgeable with vfds and the wiring procedures. Can this be done and if so, how would I wire it? I thought I could utilize A0 (common) and A2 typically open. Then program the vfd from alarm on to run on. So far it's not working.
Thanks!

Is the enclosure undersized? If sized according to the manual, the enclosure should be fine without a fan. The enclosure walls transfer the heat out.

Is the enclosure undersized? If sized according to the manual, the enclosure should be fine without a fan. The enclosure walls transfer the heat out.
Thanks! I believe the enclosure is sized appropriately (12" x 12" x 8"); however, I also added a brake resistor. I already have the fan, cut the holes and it's installed, so planning on using it regardless.

If the goal is to provide aux. cooling to the VFD, just wire the fan to the input power to the drive. When it's on, the fan runs. Otherwise you'll have to fool around with the logic inputs to the drive. I do this for at least one of my VFDs here at work. Fan comes on when the drive is powered on.

Page 22. The outputs 11 & 12 (power on state) connect to a external relay.

Page 36 is what you are trying to do.
I wouldn't go right ahead and connect a 220 vac supply for a fan. Use a 5v supply with a resistor and led first.

Thanks for the reference! I have seen those pages of the manual, but just didn't fully understand how to accomplish this. Would I connect the 2 wires from the fan to A0 & A2, with 11 or 12 connected to A1?
Also, the manual suggests that the alarm relays were rated to 250vac; can I get 220v output from the vfd to supply the alarm relays, or would I need to pull 220v from the enclosures input power? The fan is 220v, .22A.
I have had enough education and experience just to be dangerous (not overly experienced with circuits); would connecting 220v from the enclosures input with a 1,000 ohm resistor (to achieve the 0.22A) to the relays work well?
I appreciate the help!
Take care!

Connect a ohm meter to AL0 and AL1. Should be open when drive is off. Should be shorted when drive is on.
That proves that the internal RUN state is working the relay.

Connect 220 vac to AL0 and fan(1). Connect fan(2) to AL1.
Mr. Phelps, at your own risk. The agency will disavow any knowledge of this advice.

If it was me I would have tried a 24 DC fan and the internal 24 DC supply.

Last edited:
Connect a ohm meter to AL0 and AL1. Should be open when drive is off. Should be shorted when drive is on.
That proves that the internal RUN state is working the relay.

Connect 220 vac to AL0 and fan(1). Connect fan(2) to AL1.
Mr. Phelps, at your own risk. The agency will disavow any knowledge of this advice.

If it was me I would have tried a 24 DC fan and the internal 24 DC supply.
Thanks again; for clearing this in my head! I don't disagree on the internal 24V DC, but I was reading mixed reviews about utilizing this. Ideally, and if deemed both safe and sustainable, I would like to use the relay. Would allow for the vfd to receive power over longer periods at idle without the additional cooling fan operating and fan operation to be triggered by the run signal; however, I may just play it safe (as suggested above) and run it off enclosure incoming power source directly).
I appreciate all the help!

VFD's I say that internal power source is not to be used for powering anything. Just for signal processing.
A 3" 24 V fan might not load the internal 24 supply too much.

Last edited:
Better with vents to allow air to rise from bottom to top. The drive already has a fan so a vented box would be enough.

There is a life check monitor that tells you the lifetime has expired on the caps for the PWB and fan (page 47).

There are so many codes for a 4 character 7 segment display.
Programming on a LCD panel keeps all those 4 character codes away.

Last edited:

Back