What's new
What's new

I'm thinking i got Lucky

Steve_in_Utah

Plastic
I recently purchased a used manual sinker (Pacific Controls 30.) The manual is a little on the chinglish side and minimal on information. I did manage to get the thing to work but am a bit clueless on settings and such. I had a pressing job that needed completed and after a few test burns and messing around I luckily got the job done and am pleased with the results (see pic below.) However, I had a soot buildup that I had to clean out about every .0005 of depth. The burn is about .005 deep. I am using graphite as the electrode. I would like to hear what some of you would use as settings for this piece and hear what I might adjust to stop the soot buildup. The control panel pic is just to show the settings I have available, It does not show my settings. The burn time was about 30 to 40 min. not including soot cleaning time.
My settings:
SERVO CONTRL
Ram Vibrtr: 1
Gap Volt: 3
Servo Gain: 8

PULSER
Top Knob: 7 inside knob (in work time) 8 outside knob (out work time)
Frequency: Hi
Pulser Amplitude: 7
Flush: Bypass (always flushing)

ARK DETECTOR
Sensitivity: 5
Slow In: 5.5

HEAD POLARITY: +

PULSE GENERATOR
On Time: 14
Off Time 42

POWER LEVEL
Transistors 2,3,4: On, set at 1 amp each (2 and 3 have an ionization enhance feature)

Thanks, Steve

Attachments

• Hugo.jpg
    Hugo.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 315
  • Panel.jpg
    Panel.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 228
I do know your machine but:

The fact that you were having a "soot" build-up in the cutting zone with your flushing set to "bypass" leads me to suspect that rather than "always flushing" you were instead not flushing at all.

Where is that "bypass" setting anyway?

Not a setting. I unpluged it to create constant flush instead of pulsing flush. It definitely flushes constantly. Soot builds up in different spots, in the larger areas being sparked.

If this is your first crack at edm, nice job. You didn't mention the workpiece material? If its an alloy, you should burn on - polarity, this would explain the soot build up as you caled it.

Also, something you always want to see is a consistent finish, looking at your pics, the lower letters are much more pitted, telling me the flushing and settings have room for improvement.

Again, given the machine and experience it's a great start.

If this is your first crack at edm, nice job. You didn't mention the workpiece material? If its an alloy, you should burn on - polarity, this would explain the soot build up as you caled it.

Also, something you always want to see is a consistent finish, looking at your pics, the lower letters are much more pitted, telling me the flushing and settings have room for improvement.

Again, given the machine and experience it's a great start.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. The metal is A2. I will try reversing polarity. Thanks for the suggestions.

Back