What's new
What's new

Machining instructors and seasoned machinists input on text please.

most modern shops use inserts and no hand grinding is ever done other than for deburring

This isn't most modern shops, Tom, it's a CLASS for BEGINNERS. An understanding of tool clearance angles is essential, and by grinding your own the effect of a small change in angle is easy to see and to demonstrate. If you're good at it you can demonstrate it with a drill. A beginner cannot visualize jack shit from looking at an insert.

I like the idea and would be happy to contribute. I know something about teaching and learning, having been a college professor for over 15 years.

I second all that has been said about using Git and GitHub and I suggest you look into GitBook, it has been designed specifically for that kind of puspose and uses Git and GitHub.

Jacques

I may be a little slow to respond to all posts individually, but will. Please don’t take it as a lack of gratitude.

Yes, the main point of grinding HSS is not it’s use, but rather a great way to learn the ins and outs of tool geometry. Not to mention, it’s still used when you need a custom tool now, not later.

Stamping and mold making are also two areas in which I’m not an SME (along with many others of course) so I’m sure once it’s up, some pro’s will have I put that would not only be beneficial, but something I would like to glean knowledge from.

I apologize if I am not completely up to date on the details of this situation. I am viewing it from the outside. I do think many of your points reinforce what I was saying.

For instance, you say it is the book publishers who get the lion's share of the prices charged for the texts. This makes me wonder, if there is some law or absolute regulation that dictates that the books must be published by those companies. I can get a book published by a vanity publisher for MUCH lower rates. I worked for a man who did just that and he sold his books for his cost which was in the range of $20 to $30 dollars. It was NOT printed in the hundreds of thousands: I saw his complete order of a thousand when it arrived. I am not suggesting that you or other authors in the academic world should pay the complete costs of publishing a text. There should be investors who would be willing to do that: doctors, lawyers, and other professionals are out there looking for such investments. Electronic copies could be used for advanced review by the professors who would use them and advance orders could be placed in time for the printing to be done before the students would be purchasing them in the bookstores. There are many publishers in this world: why can't the professors who write the texts use publishers who do operate at more reasonable rates? Could it be that the high priced publishers pay the authors more; like 5% instead of 2 or 3%? Still a pittance, but a bigger pittance. Why wouldn't they determine their own royalties? Perhaps they need to get together on this. We wrote the books so we get the lion's share. You just run them through the presses and sell them at a SMALL mark-up. And if YOU want to get rich, go find the new Agatha Christie or Isaac Asimov.

I guess my main objection is to the multitude of government programs that are intended to make an education more affordable, but only serve to increase the prices that are charged the next year because, after all, the student is getting SOooo MUCH HELP that he/she can certainly and easily afford to pay even more than we charged this year.

I am of the opinion that all government assistance programs should be completely secret. It should be completely illegal to pay these monies to anyone except the private citizen that they are intended to help and only that person can actually decide how those monies are spent. It should be completely illegal for the people providing the services these monies are intended to pay for to even know where the money is coming from. And it should be completely OK for the private citizens to LIE about where they obtain the money. They should be screaming poor, poor, poor when talking about what the tuition or the book costs or, room and board, or lab fees, or whatever will be. They should be spending their OWN money. They should completely own that money before it is spent. I am sure that they can do a much better job of allocating it than any government idiot could ever do.

By the way I came upon this idea when thinking about the totally excessive cost of medical care in the US. It also goes up and up every year because all the bills are paid by insurance and government programs. No one ever compares prices or argues over a high bill. So there is absolutely no reason to keep costs down and many reasons (many $$$$$) to raise them on a yearly basis. This same idea would drastically slash the cost of medical care at all levels by actually making it competitive.

OK, my rant mode: OFF!

As a university professor and administrator, I'm afraid that I have to disagree with the assertion that everyone or all institutions are profit-driven. I am part of a university that works hard to keep costs as low as possible. But "as low as possible" has changed significantly over the years due to regulation - yes, surprise, surprise, it hits educators too.

And I understand why. Most of the regulation (which generally comes in the form of accreditation requirements) comes in response to the excessive actions of for-profit institutions. These are notorious in higher education for their pattern of luring students in with half-baked promises, including how affordable they are - affordable because of all these wonderful federal programs, including especially easy-to-get student loans - and then cheerfully waving good-bye to a student who washes out or who graduates with a "degree" that is basically worthless, along with a mountain of debt.

Naturally and properly, the government objects to having its grant money and student debt used to finance less-than-quality programs, so they increase the accreditation requirements ... which increases the costs for everyone, because it takes time, a LOT of time, to accommodate all of those requirements. We have had to add a lot of administrative staff just to keep up with it all - staff that costs money, but does not directly serve the primary purpose of teaching students.

Meanwhile, there are indeed textbook companies - I'm looking at you, Pearson - which charge astronomical rates for each textbook. The argument is that relatively few textbooks are sold (compared to a novel on the best-seller list), so the costs are high. I have my doubts that it actually costs several hundred dollars to produce a single textbook, especially when I know how little the actual author gets. Believe me, no professor gets rich from textbook sales; only the companies that provide textbooks do that. In my program, we are able to and work hard to keep the textbook costs down for students, but some disciplines have little choice but to use the $300+ "standard" textbook.

And while there are some universities (oddly, the ones the media tends to focus on) in which professors and administrators receive quite high salaries, there are hundreds of universities, like my own, where the pay scale is very modest. No one goes into teaching for the money, at least not at a reputable, non-profit university; it is out of a sense of calling and service.

Okay, rant over ...

EPA, I think we are largely in agreement! Government assistance is a catch-22 - it really does make it possible for some to go to college, some who will benefit from college and excel, who otherwise could not go. But as soon as you start down that road, the problem becomes how to validate whether the money is well spent, both by the students and by the institutions. Who gets to decide that this student, or that one, is deserving of help, and how much help?

Your point about self-publishing a textbook is well taken ... since I have done exactly that for the past 20 years! It has worked fine in one context (a language class), but it wouldn't necessarily work well in every context.

A major issue is credibility - self-publishing can include some wonderful works (cough, cough, not necessarily thinking of my own textbook, of course ... :)), but in general there is a rather large percentage of self-published works that are, shall we say, "sketchy." Or worse. I get a steady stream of these sent to me by authors hoping I will use their brilliant self-published work in my next class ... but even a quick scan of the contents shows that their best use is to line the circular file.

Meanwhile, though there can be some not-so-great textbooks produced by the major companies, in general there is a much more significant vetting process, including review by other scholars in the field. So, even though the book may or may not be the greatest, there is some sense of credibility that at least it represents a certain amount of consensus.

Think about an analogy from a machining perspective. How do folks here tend to respond to someone working in the shop, saying, "Oh, I've got this home made measuring tool that I'm going to use on the next project." Actually, I don't know the answer - maybe it would be widely accepted? But I'm guessing that, in general, shop owners and managers are going to insist that the machinist use a caliper made by a reputable company. Sure, many folks here can make tools of exquisite precision and accuracy, and sometimes even the name brands can produce a lemon. But credibility ... we've all seen too many examples of home made tools, of which the maker is inordinately proud, which we know are simply awful.

When you are working for yourself, of course, you can pull out your own self-made tool, knowing exactly what its capabilities and limits are. For the language course that I teach, I've been able to do something similar, making my own textbook - for reasons not dissimilar to the OP's. But not everyone is capable of, wants to, or has time to write their own textbook (it is not a minor undertaking!), and it surely is not terribly efficient for each professor to do so, with no sharing. But when you start to share it, back we go to credibility. In some disciplines, the subject matter may be such that you can judge the credibility of the book pretty quickly ... but don't forget that you have to judge not only the accuracy of the information, but also the appropriateness of the assignments, the order and pace of the presentation, etc. And in some disciplines, you may have the accreditors asking why you have chosen to use this "Harbor Freight" book when there is a "Mitutoyo" book right here ... quite a bit more expensive of, course!

One more issue related to credibility - the credibility, or maybe rather integrity, of the professor. If the only thing students get in my classes is the book(s) that I myself have written, I'm making a rather sweeping claim about what I know and what they need to know. Even with the language course for which I use my own textbook, I include some other resources (fortunately, not very expensive) so that mine is not the only voice the students hear. In other classes that I teach, I *might* include a book I have written, but for sure I would want the students to engage with others' thoughts as well. It's a matter of integrity: I don't claim to know everything, and my perspective on various issues is not the only one students need to be aware of.

Sorry for the over-lengthy response!

The variance of machining is wide from highest rate material removal under time and or financial pressure to leisure accidental project chipping. You have Inconel and Titanium and hardened-steels machining, brass and bronze machining. You have the basic methods of sawing, milling, turning, drilling, and more, you have the finer methods such as lapping, honing, all kinds of grinding, burnishing, polishing. I think you can’t and probably don’t want to treat everything done in this vast trade. Therefore a narrowing of the subject seems indicated. Also the biggest and the smallest works must be left out, you know, power plants, ships, wristwatches, and nano technology.

Hi,

I would be to happy proof read, my wife used to proof read political texts so she can give me a crash course on proofing and I can translate that to machining.

Also I’d be happy to take images of setups that I can mock up at work, for or get my partner to generate illustrations for your unlimited use in educational texts. (She’s an artist too!)

But as for a host platform for the finished article, that’s beyond my general knowledge of IT, but for proof readers a .doc maybe useful to make edits and .pdf for version that can’t be edited.

If your happy for me to contribute, I can send you my email adress?

Oh and as everyone else has included, I’m of 7 years experience made up of manual machining, old style toolmaking, some CNC milling turning and a great deal of EDM work. I know I can’t boast 30/40 years like the rest yet, but I’m sure I can have an input.

Back