What's new
What's new

New to turning

Could try turning profiles first (so there arent' cliffs for the rings to fall off), then grooving last
Thats basically it. Rough with your 80 deg to the highest dia, Then plunge rough profile the groove sections with 35 deg. Finish with 35 deg. Do Thread, Then clean up the corners with groove tool.
Watch groove step over.
The big ring is coming from the 45 deg. plunge cut on the 1st op.
If you just try to groove it without profiling it first, you will have rings.

Thanks for all the replies. I think the plunge from the first side is causing the large ring. The groove insert is .125 which is the groove width. which based on comments as it wears causes the second ring. Thanks guys for the insight.

Thanks for all the replies. I think the plunge from the first side is causing the large ring. The groove insert is .125 which is the groove width. which based on comments as it wears causes the second ring. Thanks guys for the insight.
I always prefer to use a groove insert smaller than the width of my grrove. It allows me to step over and and have a little bit of material for a light finish cut

I like the pictures of the part and rings in post#13 a lot. Perfect.
If you think that's perfect, I'd fire you. Seven or eight year old handmedown iPhone, took thirty seconds to take the photo and another thirty to resize then transfer here

IMG_4230.jpg

absolutely nothing special about the photo except you can see the surfaces. Looking at op's photo, the finish looks like shit, like a bad grind almost, but you can't really tell because the photo is bad. You can't really tell anything because the camera was out of focus. And yeah, mine isn't very good, on purpose, cuz I wanted to show it didn't take much effort but could still tell us a lot more about what's going on. Just focus before you click.

Back