What's new
What's new

Newbie question, how to get part to come to door?

Haas has figured out a way to charge big money for a button for the pre-determined XYnumber (it's just a damn button, some wire and the technology to prevent you from using it unless you pay).

Glad to see cam software begin to add smart features for dumb machines. As they should.

Haas is living their worst nightmare. Which is the new life being breathed into their old machines thru new software.

My point was the same as Seymore's, What the hell are you talking about. "Breathing life into their machines thru software"?

Sorry but Haas is not living any sort of nightmare. It just seems this new generation of programers are poorly trained. "Dumb machines"? WTF does that mean?

My point was the same as Seymore's, What the hell are you talking about. "Breathing life into their machines thru software"?

Sorry but Haas is not living any sort of nightmare. It just seems this new generation of programers are poorly trained. "Dumb machines"? WTF does that mean?

How do you guys not understand that the new (and in some cases free) software as of the last several years have added such things as adaptive tool paths, visualization, part arrays and cut&paste tool path & tool profiles etc? Machine is a lot more powerful and useful with advanced software wouldn't you think? And kind of dumb otherwise.

Perhaps not such a big deal to the button pushers and job shop supervisors of the world, but kind of a big deal from the perspective of the individual guys who are buying up 10-20yr old machines and putting them in their garage to work on developing the next widget.

Sure, I guess I exaggerated. Haas is certainly not shivering with fear, but there is a ton of used machines hitting the secondary market. More and more every day. Prices are dropping, parts and service are becoming increasingly available and it is becoming quite feasable for startups and hobbyists to opt for a decent used machine vs new in many cases. Think it doesn't concern them? Why else would they sharply cut off support on machines that are seemingly still very capable?

As far as new programmers being poorly trained I can't speak to any of that. I'm not going to assume anyone's skill level. Not even the original poster or chinese school girls.

I feel we should try to help those new guys where we can.
Heck, I even learned some very creative ways myself to do a simple task such as centering a part at the door at the end of a program. ...and from some very nice people not triggered by novice questions or goofy insights.

How do you guys not understand that the new (and in some cases free) software as of the last several years have added such things as adaptive tool paths, visualization, part arrays and cut&paste tool path & tool profiles etc? Machine is a lot more powerful and useful with advanced software wouldn't you think? And kind of dumb otherwise.

I guess im thrown off as to someone thinking this is new technology. I mean, Featurecam, Esprit, and Catia had this in the late 90's and early 2K's. Chip thinning, Whirlwind, visualisation, (Multiple Part arrays was one of the big selling points for me in 97 with Featurecam) and of course auto feature recognition with auto tool select. Maybe it's something new with budget cams such as Fusion, I don't know. I learned a long time ago about the high cost of saving a dollar.

I guess im thrown off as to someone thinking this is new technology. I mean, Featurecam, Esprit, and Catia had this in the late 90's and early 2K's. Chip thinning, Whirlwind, visualisation, (Multiple Part arrays was one of the big selling points for me in 97 with Featurecam) and of course auto feature recognition with auto tool select. Maybe it's something new with budget cams such as Fusion, I don't know. I learned a long time ago about the high cost of saving a dollar.

WOW THAT'S IMPRESSIVE!!!
Or maybe it would be, but I am just not as thrown off by your point of view. Simply tools of your trade.
My point of view is that of a hobbyist/entrepreneur. Should be no surprise. We exist too.

Back