What's new
What's new

power washer-adding hot water?

After replacing the heating coil on mine ($$$), it was replumbed with disconnects so I can blow compressed air thru it to clear the water. My coil is horizontal, probably/maybe easier with a vertical coil. First connect air and blow the bulk out, disconnect and let compressor recharge, this gives time for water to pool in low spots, then connect air again. Repeat until you are sure all moisture is out. I store mine dry, but only because it is so dry here that metal barely rusts, in a more humid environment it might be best to fill with antifreeze.

I have had the same Northern unit for about 15 years and have used it to clean mostly heavy equipment and trucks prior to servicing or rebuilding. It has never failed to work and I have never taken any precautions apart from disconnecting the hoses and blowing it out with air after use. I have brought it to work a few times to clean machines used in the glass industry that have years of baked on grease. It works great with respect to cleaning the machines, but it makes a huge mess of everything else within a radius of 30 feet.

I just got my heater, tried it for 10-15 minutes, works great but the very next day I disconnected the lines and blew it out, the water that came out was the color of tea just from overnight. Using quick disconnects I can now blow the coil out, circulate RV anti freeze through it with a small little giant pump, then with shop air again, blow most of the RV antifreeze back into the cointainer for next time. Would there be a better solution than RV anti freeze to use? It could be somewhat pricey due to the fact that it will be used over and over with a slight dilution over time.

Not sure? If your not worried about accidental Ingestion then I would go for good ole evil green automotive antifreeze but do your research and maybe call northern tool to see if they suggest something.

We’ve left water sitting in the coil for about 3 days before and when fired up it spit BLACK water out!

It’s kinda the nature of the beast! Coils inside a fire with water pumping though then will undoubtedly rust in one form or another.

Maybe try to blow the coil out with a cool mist adapter that will mist in antifreeze at the same time?

If you are blowing it out and running antifreeze through it I HIGHLY doubt it will rust out in your lifetime my friend.

Unless you live to be 100..

I’m working on Croaking round 55-60 myself after all it is our Family tradition..

I just got my heater, tried it for 10-15 minutes, works great but the very next day I disconnected the lines and blew it out, the water that came out was the color of tea just from overnight. Using quick disconnects I can now blow the coil out, circulate RV anti freeze through it with a small little giant pump, then with shop air again, blow most of the RV antifreeze back into the cointainer for next time. Would there be a better solution than RV anti freeze to use? It could be somewhat pricey due to the fact that it will be used over and over with a slight dilution over time.

I have solar hot water panels on my roof and run RV antifreeze in the system. I use a garden sprayer to charge the system. Take the wand off and hook up the proper fitting and pump it up. Easy peasy. I charge the system to 25 psi so no problem with filling a coil. I like simple when I can.

Back