What's new
What's new

Turning a tungsten anti tank round into a wedding band.

After doing some research, it looks like these types of rounds are made from both tungsten carbide, and tungsten heavy metal alloys, with the heavy alloys being more common.

I have a good amount of experience machining Tungsten Heavy Alloys. In my experience, these tungsten alloys range from 90% W to 97% W with the remainder made from 8-2% Ni and 3-0.6% Fe or Cu, depending on the alloy. Technically speaking, these are not true alloys, because the nickel and iron or copper are the only materials that melt during sintering.

These are pretty easy to machine, they behave similarly to cast iron with powdery like chips. SFM 200-300 IPR .002-.008 DOC .01-.125 with a TiAlN coated, hard grade of carbide. They are very abrasive, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem if you're only making a couple of rings.

I'm a little late to the conversation but our customers have realized great results (speed, finish, tool life, etc) using our very unique metalworking fluids (MWF) (https://halocarbon.com/engineered-fluids/metalworking-fluids/) to machine Tungsten (W) and many other difficult materials (Ta, Nb, Mo, Ti, TZM, Inconel, etc). One large producer of W saw a 7X tool life extension switching to our MWF from their historical fluids. I just met a few manufacturers of those W rounds at the recent AWTS conference and planning to sample in the near future. On your specific topic, I just sent samples of our MWF to a specialty jewelry company (Rustic and Main) and they are evaluating on some of their specialty materials. They're just outside of Charlotte and maybe they can help with your ring (and our MWF can provide the finish you'll need). Good luck!

Back