What's new
What's new

What type of vmc is good for machining steel spherical balls (used)

Thank You, Emmanuel,
I would take a little more time to raise more funds for a better-used Monarch or something else, my budget obviously cannot get anything reasonable for now. especially considering the fact that I have little knowledge of machines.

The only thing is to keep importing machined nodes from china.

I want to appreciate everyone,

The angles must be very accurate, so I actually don't think anyone can build a machine that can do what I need.
I also would not go for a used machine that's too old because I don't have the experience to handle such.

At first, I wasn't sure if what I needed was a 5 axis machine, I was hoping 3axis would do, lol, but I think 5x is the best machine to go for, if I want to achieve good results.

What I'm going to do is to take some more time to raise more funds for a used mid-grade Machine.

Thank you all for your replies. :Ithankyou::Ithankyou::Ithankyou:

I have to think of a way out, I read here that we could build one!

THIS ^^^^^ is why bad threads should be deleted.

Google searches bring newbies in here, they sign up, and immediately start posting, never taking 15 minutes to read the rules (like they are even enforced anymore) and then get all "Butt Hurt" when we try to explain the rules, and suggest another forum.

THIS ^^^^^ is why bad threads should be deleted.

Google searches bring newbies in here, they sign up, and immediately start posting, never taking 15 minutes to read the rules (like they are even enforced anymore) and then get all "Butt Hurt" when we try to explain the rules, and suggest another forum.

I think our guest was aware it was a "joke" thread... But he might not be happy with the level of insults, understandably.

BTW, going back to the original goal of machining steel spheres up to 400mm in diameter - that size blank weights around 265kg/584lbs.

Wouldn't want to be the poor guy who has to load those blanks...

I would. Means you get a crane. It's 60-70-80 lb stuff that kills you. Hell, they could have a nubile young thing running them.

The linked video showed a fairly primitive setup (smaller balls, granted) that must have been a pre-prep with draw bolt, as I didn't see any other retention method. If a similar system was used with the big blank, then I still wouldn't want to deal with it, one slip and it's Indiana Jones time...

I think he could do it close to budget, actually. KT 800 is a hefty machine but pretty simple. There's a new plug-in control replacement, some place in the upper midwest makes them. So he'd need a ballsy extra axis to bolt onto the B but could find that .... probably go over 50k but everything always goes over estimates.

Why he didn't PM Ox, I dunno ....

Not a teensy little project tho, certainly easier to purchase instead of make.

But we're addicted to making stuff here, I guess :D

I never really thought of the weight :eek:
That's not a problem though, we can use some little hoisting equipment.

I will actually start with a smaller capacity machine. Lol

I think he could do it close to budget, actually. KT 800 is a hefty machine but pretty simple. There's a new plug-in control replacement, some place in the upper midwest makes them. So he'd need a ballsy extra axis to bolt onto the B but could find that .... probably go over 50k but everything always goes over estimates.

Why he didn't PM Ox, I dunno ....

Not a teensy little project tho, certainly easier to purchase instead of make.

But we're addicted to making stuff here, I guess :D

I really don't understand what 'PM Ox' is...
could you explain?

I really don't understand what 'PM Ox' is...
could you explain?

We have a member named "Ox", who has a potential match of a machine for sale. "pm" is private message, an option for direct contact of other forum members. Click on a member's name at the upper left, the option to pm (I use lower case to differentiate from PM the forum) is there, or you can use the search function to find a member name.

We have a member named "Ox", who has a potential match of a machine for sale. "pm" is private message, an option for direct contact of other forum members. Click on a member's name at the upper left, the option to pm (I use lower case to differentiate from PM the forum) is there, or you can use the search function to find a member name.

How would you pack an old machine to ship from Ohio to Nigeria??
Doesn't fit in container?
Custom container?

Dunno. It could be broken down to fit in a container, but I agree it's probably best to find a machine already on the continent.

I was really just passing on how to pm someone, not really pushing Ox's machine.

[Sorry, Ox]

Ohhhh !! Thanks a lot ...
I know 'DM', but now I get it. I can drop him a PM If he can get me something good that will yield results because I don't wanna make a mistake. Then I can even have a more precise idea of how much more money to raise.

Back