What's new
What's new

Who still uses fanuc 6 in 2023?

mcv410

Plastic
I am interested to know how prevalent the Fanuc 6 control is in 2023?

This can be in a job shop or production or in a garage or in a ??? - curious to know what is still running and the reason to keep them. Furthermore how owners feel about this control compared to other systems, all things considered.

I have one of each of FS6MB and an even older 3T (without a screen).

I only recently sold a CNC lathe with a Fanuc System 6T-B. I've been in shops recently that are still running mills with System 6M and 10M controls. I think you'll see these in some way or form for years to come. Many were hooked up to hulking machine tools with very heavy iron that are still making money.

Real business: Just made 36 "special" threaded caps (3"od 6061x3" long blanks) on a Hitachi Seiki va-40 running 6mb.
She held specs thru the whole job...the Fanuc side has been totally reliable, actually so is the machine...lol
Like Doug...said, 10K of mill on box ways....
Fast, no.......able to compete in todays market, nope.......would I do high count jobs with it, never.....
But, for what I'm doing all it needs is a bit of way oil, some coolant and a simple program to generate dollars.

I would still buy a Fanuc 6 machine if I was starting out or if it was something special like an HBM.

Fanuc 6 is very reliable. If you can desolder and solder electrolytic capacitors you can run a Fanuc 6 indefinitely.

And you can compete with new stuff with one. Fanuc 6 max feedrate is around 140 ipm. That's not fast, but not too slow to make a shitload of chips.

I just sold my Mori that had a 6t control it worked fine but i wanted a newer control with offsets. I will say the old Mori was built way better than the YCM i just bought. That is the difference made Japan or made Taiwan right down to the dam manuals!!!

Bunch of dinosaurs in here, your Fanuc 6 controls belong in antique stores now, if you don't have the latest shiny touchscreen with bluetooth, wifi and cloud access how on earth are you even making basic 2 axis lathe parts?!

"You are looking at an item listed by Davey Salvage & Antiques."

(I am joking of course, I find it reassuring that Fanuc 6 controls are still chugging along when I run 21 series controls.)

Use my Kitamura almost daily. Previous owner maxed out the memory, so I can load fairly large programs. I have made good money running mold cavity toolpaths sub-routined into grids.

Use my Kitamura almost daily. Previous owner maxed out the memory, so I can load fairly large programs. I have made good money running mold cavity toolpaths sub-routined into grids. 1v1 lol
Then that's your talent. But I also do the same but no money or very little money.

Back