What's new
What's new

Why we must go metric - cold turkey - now.

Thank you all. I am doing fine. The US is going metric, just everybody for himself and not in an orderly way. Mostly everybody in our business has had to deal with this. To bad. 25.4 still rules. To bad for our children who will still need a converted weather forecast. At least most can now handle Liters and Kilometers and Kilograms so they can at least understand what they are hearing and seeing when traveling to other countries. That in itself is progress. All of us are now 10 years older. So are our inch based
manual machines. To all of you imperial diehards - happy converting for the next ten years and on and on and on????
Btw: Any other nation change back to imperial? Just about as many as have changed to an American style health care system.
I do not mind if someone criticizes me. Just keep it civil. The worst thing that could happen to us is becoming a nation of screaming like-minded people.
Some dark clouds on the horizon.

Thank you all. I am doing fine. The US is going metric, just everybody for himself and not in an orderly way. Mostly everybody in our business has had to deal with this. To bad. 25.4 still rules. To bad for our children who will still need a converted weather forecast. At least most can now handle Liters and Kilometers and Kilograms so they can at least understand what they are hearing and seeing when traveling to other countries. That in itself is progress. All of us are now 10 years older. So are our inch based manual machines. To all of you imperial diehards - happy converting for the next ten years and on and on and on????
Btw: Any other nation change back to imperial? Just about as many as have changed to an American style health care system.
I do not mind if someone criticizes me. Just keep it civil. The worst thing that could happen to us is becoming a nation of screaming like-minded people.

Take care or some are going to think you're me LOL

Thank you all. I am doing fine. The US is going metric, just everybody for himself and not in an orderly way. Mostly everybody in our business has had to deal with this. To bad. 25.4 still rules. To bad for our children who will still need a converted weather forecast. At least most can now handle Liters and Kilometers and Kilograms so they can at least understand what they are hearing and seeing when traveling to other countries. That in itself is progress. All of us are now 10 years older. So are our inch based
manual machines. To all of you imperial diehards - happy converting for the next ten years and on and on and on????

You ain't a bad sort. Ten years on, and still adrift?

Clearly not YOUR "personal" fault you have trouble managing six or a dozen simultaneous measurement systems with near-zero effort. Just a genetic dice-roll as put you at a disadvantage to average Americans is all.

"Orderly way?" That's the guy as empties hospital bedpans, yah?

Change any of the MANY bespoke measurement systems we enjoy? Not likely.

But you may be able to claim Social Security Disability for the handicap of being unable to what everyone one ELSE can do, yah?

Europe only mandated one-system (doesn't really) fit-all by fiat so as to save on disability payments to their own poor "challenged" souls, as lack the brain power to do that with ease after all. Take Gordon for example. Please take Gordon.

It isn't about which "system" is superior.

It's about superior people smart and flexible enough to handle ANY AND ALL "systems" at-will and with low-no stress over any of that ...as constitutes the REAL advantage.

Want to dumb-down yer kids? Your call.

Denmark will find a place for them.

Serving two 45.4 gram patties of BigMac at better than USD$ 20 an hour to Crown Princess Mary?

That "royally" beats the rate of many a job making chips of metal, so "where's the beef".

Oh.. welll.. probably NOT in the burger, but that's another "dark clouds" story.

:(

Thanks for poking back in Juerg!

The Original Post made this "metrification issue" sound like some sort of doomsday prediction.
And here we all are , Ten Years After,....;-) Ten Years After- I'd love to change the world - YouTube

My three kids are all adults now and are having no difficulty buying groceries, gas, or NAS hardware (The eldest is a robotics engineer, mostly military contracts)

It actually might be a GOOD THING to be behind the rest of the other nations in respect to the measurement system. It appears the entire world is heading down hill (at least politically and socially).
To be behind in a race to the bottom is actually to be ahead!

For me, I can't pick up a tub of flour and gestimate how many kilos it might weigh like I can when I do the hoisting in pounds (comparing to 1# and 5# units which are pretty common at the stores I go to.

But even that "skill" isn't much use anymore, since the suppliers are using "creative packaging" to sell 14 oz of product for the same cost as what only recently purchased a full pound. What good are standardized units anyway? Heck, a push of a couple of buttons on the phone will convert and COMPARE costs around the world.

Times are changing, and I would say that getting the US to officially adopt the mks system is way down on the list of pressing issues.

Warning, irrelevant content, you will probably not benefit from reading this.

Forgot to log in.
What happens? The comment, which is supposed to be hidden, is visible.
In this case, which I intend to make a very rare exception, I will respond.

#1122 GBC
"A "few barleycorns" sound more like a wee drop than a good sized drink"

A barleycorn is old linear measurement, which I used since it had not been used before in this thread. A thread whose subject is (or maybe was) measurement systems, and which already includes references to obsolescent or obsolete units of measurement.

A few is an indeterminate integer, greater than 2 (a couple) but less than 7 (several).

Used in the same manner as the North American "two fingers of Bourbon". Therefore the minimum depth of alcoholic liquid (made from barleycorns, typically whisky) will be three barleycorns, approximately one inch. Where I live this is much more than a wee drop. YMMV in Denmark/Scotland.

End of explanation.

I am now going to the pub, where I shall hold my glass above the floor. I shall hold my glass, below the ceiling, in a manner which prevents the contents leaving under the efects of gravity. I shall consume as many glasses of beer as it takes to reduce me to the state of an Australian aborigine who has lost their inherent, infallible, superior, internal compass. I shall then go on a staggerabout, shouting UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT, BACK and FORWARD, until someone who knows me, guides me home.

I intend to learn from this process. In future my policy will be, do not respond to people on PM who are posting complete bollocks, unless there is some overriding reason.

You were warned.

"Much ado about nothing"?

It actually might be a GOOD THING to be behind the rest of the other nations in respect to the measurement system. It appears the entire world is heading down hill (at least politically and socially).
To be behind in a race to the bottom is actually to be ahead!

Have you been hiding under a rock the past few decades? I'd love to hear your arguments for that statement. That includes specifying which industrial countries are "...heading down hill politically and socially".

Back