What's new
What's new

WinMax question

matt_d77

Aluminum
I'm looking at buying an entry level VMC to make mostly 2D die die components. I had originally budgeted for a standalone software, like MasterCam (or something similar) for programming, but the Hurco salesman is pumping up the WinMax control saying that it's all we should need. After watching some YouTube videos, it looks like the WInMax is very basic and doesn't look at the stock as a boundary which would require us to offset the geometry out for every roughing pass when making a boss type of feature... is that correct? if the feture is off center I have to imaging that you'd be cutting as much air as you are the material, right? Also, are there any options for Z ramping, or dies it plunge straight down into the material?

Matt,

I can not answer your question, as we use a cam system for posting to my VMX.
Maybe the night shift can answer this.

Doug

I'm looking at buying an entry level VMC to make mostly 2D die die components. I had originally budgeted for a standalone software, like MasterCam (or something similar) for programming, but the Hurco salesman is pumping up the WinMax control saying that it's all we should need. After watching some YouTube videos, it looks like the WInMax is very basic and doesn't look at the stock as a boundary which would require us to offset the geometry out for every roughing pass when making a boss type of feature... is that correct? if the feture is off center I have to imaging that you'd be cutting as much air as you are the material, right? Also, are there any options for Z ramping, or dies it plunge straight down into the material?
I use Both HAAS and HURCO here in our student shop, lately mostly the HURCO.
So first I'm going toa ask what software are you currently using for CAD? Why you ask?

Since you said you mostly do 2D work, correct, the HURCO is a great machine for that using the WINMAX Convesational programing for say 80-90% of your needs. WINMAX also takes NC Code and can even merge both Conversational\NC code into one program, I personally haven't used it.

Now I use both Conversational and NC (most of the time), When I need simple things to semi complicated I do it in CONVER. then will use CAM to jump in and finish the areas needing it, if the whole part is mostly complicated I will use CAM 100% on it.

Now CAM software I would get Fusion 360 for what you say you machine on a regular basis, $549\year, sometime less during a sale, post are free and many users may have one they tweeked and will send you.
if you are a SolidWorks user HSMWorks is incluned with Fusion 360 and ir runs inside SW it also uses the same post that Fusion uses so no need for a new post. I have been using HSMWorks since before AutoDesk bought it, my go to.

So now it is your court, get a machine that has the best of both worlds, great conversational|NC or just a machine that needs CAD\CAM software.

JMO

lenny

I use Both HAAS and HURCO here in our student shop, lately mostly the HURCO.
So first I'm going toa ask what software are you currently using for CAD? Why you ask?

Since you said you mostly do 2D work, correct, the HURCO is a great machine for that using the WINMAX Convesational programing for say 80-90% of your needs. WINMAX also takes NC Code and can even merge both Conversational\NC code into one program, I personally haven't used it.

Now I use both Conversational and NC (most of the time), When I need simple things to semi complicated I do it in CONVER. then will use CAM to jump in and finish the areas needing it, if the whole part is mostly complicated I will use CAM 100% on it.

Now CAM software I would get Fusion 360 for what you say you machine on a regular basis, $549\year, sometime less during a sale, post are free and many users may have one they tweeked and will send you.
if you are a SolidWorks user HSMWorks is incluned with Fusion 360 and ir runs inside SW it also uses the same post that Fusion uses so no need for a new post. I have been using HSMWorks since before AutoDesk bought it, my go to.

So now it is your court, get a machine that has the best of both worlds, great conversational|NC or just a machine that needs CAD\CAM software.

JMO

lenny
Thanks Lenny. We actually already own a seat of Fusion360 that's included with our AutoCAD/AutoDesk package. I've been looking through the tutorials, but at the rate I'm going it'll take me 3 years to be able to make a part, so maybe I should just look into going to a face-to-face training on the Fusion. We currently use Esprit to program our Wire EDM, but I was thinking that I'd possibly switch to MasterCAM if we go that route with the Hurco. We don't work with solid models of any kind for the type of work that we currently do at our facility, so we don't have SolidWorks. In the past I've used FeatureCam to model 3D parts and CAM it out for the machine controls (Cincinatti, Fadal, and Haas controls), but from what I understand AutoDesk took FeatureCam over and used it to start the Fusion 360 platform.... at least that's the way I understood the explanation form the salesman.

Thanks Lenny. We actually already own a seat of Fusion360 that's included with our AutoCAD/AutoDesk package. I've been looking through the tutorials, but at the rate I'm going it'll take me 3 years to be able to make a part, so maybe I should just look into going to a face-to-face training on the Fusion. We currently use Esprit to program our Wire EDM, but I was thinking that I'd possibly switch to MasterCAM if we go that route with the Hurco. We don't work with solid models of any kind for the type of work that we currently do at our facility, so we don't have SolidWorks. In the past I've used FeatureCam to model 3D parts and CAM it out for the machine controls (Cincinatti, Fadal, and Haas controls), but from what I understand AutoDesk took FeatureCam over and used it to start the Fusion 360 platform.... at least that's the way I understood the explanation form the salesman.
Matt,

Don't shoot yourself short, you've use a lot of different CAM software and Fusion is no different, you can do it, just do the tutorials and you'll be making parts in no time.

AutoDesk bought HSMWorks before they bought DelCAM which FeatureCAM was a part of, HSMWorks is what AD used to creat Fusion CAM as well as Inventor CAM.

AD is just merging the best of HSMWorks and FeatureCAM together to make Fusion CAM better..... ?????

you already have it why spend Tens of thousands on a CAM that is probably way over kill for the 2 stuff you make.

JMO

I was the same way when we got HSMWorks (before AD purchased them) as I had run SURFCAM since 1993, but once i bummbled thru it now my go to for 2d to 3+2 and it will now be used for our new HAAS VM2 with the TRT160 5th axis.

I second lens statement. You have 2 capable cam packages already, adding a third (and pricey one) just because is head smacking.

Programming at the machine is using a slow computer that cost 10s of thousands more than offline with a decent computer.

I think fusion is the worst cad software around, yet you can still fumble around and within a few days you can get 2.5 d solids done quickly. Really almost any cad software works for this, just because you heard of solidworks doesn’t make it the best for you. Autocad can spit out a 3d dwg for fusion cam.

Back