What's new
What's new

Hendey lathe #13508

whatsnext

Plastic
I rescued a large Hendey lathe serial number #13508, after she has been passed around in unworking condition for years. I have been trying to get her last owner to sell her for at least 5 years and he never had her running. While researching for pictures to help get her running, I came across this site. It has been invaluable to get her running, which she did for the first time Thursday. Thank you to all who have posted to this site. I am hoping that Hendey Man will look in his records for the birth information of this solidly built machine. Thank you in advance for all your help.

whatsnext:

Hendey lathe #13508 is a 16 x 8 model (the records do not indicate whether it is a Cone Head or a Geared
Head lathe. Please post the type and I will change the records) that was built during the second week of May
1912. It was shipped with a Taper Attachment, an Oil Pan, a set of #3 Collets, a Relieving Attachment and a
Pump and Piping. The original owner was the Clipper Belt Lacer Company, Grand Rapids, Michigan.

I hope that your lathe still has all of its goodies. You rarely find a machine this old with all of the original
equipment, it would be nice if this were the case. All of the drawings have survived for this lathe, but no
repair parts or patterns.

Hendeyman

Thank you johnoder for the manual, and thank you Hendey man for the birth information. It was originally a belt drive, but the pulleys/cones were missing. The pump, piping and relieving attachment are also missing. The oil pan and taper attachment are in great shape. Also the collets survived. Some may think my methods are wrong, but to create a drive system I used a piece of black pipe with two gears welded on, in place of where the belt drive would go under the tie bar. Then on the rear, I used a 3 speed ford transmission with two gears on the input shaft in line with the two on the pipe. I coupled the output shaft to a gear reduction I had laying around. Then I hung a 3hp 230v motor off of hinges that I welded to a piece of angle iron that I attached to the rear of the machine. Basically used what I had.

Back