What's new
What's new

Wanted - Reid Surface Grinder Door

reidry

Aluminum
My family name is Reid. Probably a long shot, but I’m looking for a couple of Reid surface grinder doors for display, any vintage, any condition.

Let me know if you have something.

Last edited:
If you can find a Reid surface grinder owner who will trust you, use the original door as a foundry pattern. Have a casting or two poured in aluminum using the original door as the pattern. May need a little cosmetic work with Bondo and sandpaper to get the original cast iron door with umpteen years of paint, chipping, dings, etc.

Since the casting being made is for a 'wall hanger', matters such as meeting design measurements and shrinkage allowance are not a concern. I've got two (2) steam locomotive name/mumber plates that are aluminum castings, poured using the original (cast iron) plates as the patterns.

A nice Reid grinder is definitely on the list. We just bought a second home so the shop funds are temporarily redirected while I get the new place into shape.

Joe, That’s a great idea! If someone has an older grinder and is a bit tech savvy we could 3D scan it without shipping the door. I can 3D print a model for a pattern.

If anyone has one that is willing to help on a bit of a project, it’ll be fun.

Ryan

Or you can use silicone or other resins to do a low-tech negative of the door, no need to be tech savvy/having access to 3D scanning gear.

Paolo

Back