What's new
What's new

Whats an old Denbigh Drill worth

McSpud

Plastic
Hi All,
I have just found this site and registered up.
I have an interest in old machinery, both for wood and steel.
Recently I came across an old Denbigh pedestal drill, like this one:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/denbigh/page4.html

and I've been offered it to buy. It looks all there, hasn't been neglected from what I can see, but the guards for the long belt at the back are missing.
It has been in daily use in an engineering shop until recently replaced with a bright shiny new far east made drill.

My question is, what would the going price be for something like this would you think?

Thanks,
Seamus

I paid $250 for a similar machine that is in excellent condition with no drill holes in the table. All I had to add was oil and belts to get it running.
Andy

These oold Denbighs are excellent, About £250 is a fair price if it is nice condition, They sometimes turn up beaten to death, by blacksmith type of work A friend of mine got one about 15 years ago, no mesh guards works just fine without them, as he is not in a manufacturing environment, only himself at home, where health & safety issues are not an issue

Well guys, I bought it! I spent 3 days tidying it up, and it's running great!
I had to make up a new guide piece for the selector in the gearbox, at one time it must have slipped out of gear and they clashed, there's a couple of the teeth on the smaller gear damaged, but none are missing. They're making a good mesh now, and all's well. I also had to make up some brass shims to put under the 45 degree gear in the head of it as the mesh there wasn't hectic either. I made up a belt for the self-feed out of an old bandsaw tire, and everything is working great!

I recorded a simple video of it runnin with my iphone and put it on youtube for you to see: ( you'll have to look at it sideways - sorry!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF08E_301gY

Tell me what you think!!!

Seamus,

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the video. Last time I saw a Denbigh drill I had to stand on my head to study it (it was down under in New Zealand).

I was intrigued by the Denbigh logo, a knot, and it seems to stem simply from the fact that it’s known as a Stafford Knot, having been used on the town’s coat of arms for centuries, Staffordshire being where Denbigh were based. I now know why the North Staffordshire Railway was nicknamed ‘The Knotty’.

Thanks Asquith!

I'll try record a 'proper' clip over the weekend, my paws were a bit oily to handle the camcorder! :D

I admit I never heard of Denbigh machines before, until the opportunity to purchase this one presented itself, whats nice about these machines is how 'obvious' everything is and how the thing works... A great purchase I think!
Thanks again!
Seamus

Another denbigh!

Hi,

I bought a nearly identical "Denbigh" on eBay UK about two months ago! I had to change the belts and the power line, slight adjusting and away she went, original fuses and contacter! €107 (£100) and €80 shipping to France, cheaper and far better than the Chinese junk it replaced.

To get the files small enough to post, I took out the colour information. It makes it look it's age!

In the pictures, that's a 43mm bit which works beautifully, it's a shame that it only has a CM3 taper, a CM4 would have been much more appropriate. I have a 3 to 4 CM adapter, which it doesn't mind at all!

Regards, Matthew (just outside Paris)

Attachments

• denbigh 1.jpg
    denbigh 1.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 2,210
  • denbigh 2.jpg
    denbigh 2.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 2,989
  • denbigh 3.jpg
    denbigh 3.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 769
  • denbigh 4.jpg
    denbigh 4.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,425
McSpud & Mattinker,
glad to see you both have one of these nice old machines, They are pretty substantial and better machine tools than some of the far east crap which is now plagueing our markets, The logo of the figure of eight rope design, came legend has it that many years ago the Staffordshire hangman was asked to hang three offenders at the one go, And legend says, on the one drop! Being a most ingenious individual, he came up with the knot whereby each offenders little head was placed in the three nooses, One drop, A most expeditious method devised, The guy became famous, And Staffordshire got its emblem
There is nothing to equal a good methodical craftsmans approach to his work, Give the man a resounding cheer!
However frivolities aside, and back to the drilling machines, A friend of mine, up here in Scotland, whose firm, were machine tool dealers, supplied these machines, And, used to purchase, this pattern of Denbighs in batches of 20 at a time, well into the mid 1960/s, Denbigh also manufactured, a nice old horizontal milling machine, again three cone flat belt /back gear drive, Pretty bombproof machines also, And at one stage i also had a floor standing Denbigh pillar drill 1/2" capacity, This machine was a 4 step vee belt machine, self contained motor, Usual vertical mounted motor at the rear, something like the modern drilling machines, This old machine was totally clapped out, and finally was disposed off, by me in 1990, The drilling machines our two members have obtained are always No 3 Morse taper (1- 1/4"drill capacity,) They will go on for ever if looked after.
Denbighs strength, i would hazhard a guess, Would no doubt be a good self contained iron foundry, As Tipton, where they were based was in the heart of the black country iron foundry industry, of England One only had to look at the castings on these machines, to realise they were nice & smooth and a good quality Whilst i remember, Denbigh also manufactured a simple hand powered squeeze moulding machine, for turning out light green sand castings, for some time many years ago, i used on occasion operate a sister machine to the Denbigh, from the same area of England, this was called a Hilltop, & was manufactured in Wednesbury also Staffordshire How i could expeditiously & easily turn out moulds for my light castings on occasions, from a pattern plate to a high finish & accuracy
Could our members check, if by any chance there is a dealers plate on your drilling machines, Many of these machines were factored by two English firms One being Thos. P. Headland & Co of Liverpool, and the other by Thos W. Ward Albion Works Sheffield, And in Scotland, P&W. MacLellan Structural engineers & machine tool dealers, whose works were Clutha Works Scotland Street Glasgow, and their machine tool factoring office was situated in The Trongate near Glasgow Cross, I can remember it as an imposing large shop front, with gold lettering inside the plate glass windows, proclaiming proudly P&W, Maclellan Machine tool dealers suppliers of lathes ,tools etc etc, It was a most artistically designed frontage now sadly modernised to todays simplistic tastes, And of course also,being my friends firm in Paisley the next large town to Glasgow.
Denbigh Engineering Co. sadly ceased trading in nine-teen seventy.

Mrs Denbigh

Cutting oil Mac,

as this kind of drill is female in French, she has imediately been christened "Mrs Denbigh" . Really got lucky when I "won" this one for £100, another pig in a poke, in excellent condition, it would apear to have been left in the corner of an oily workshop. The paint is nearly 100% original and no wear anywhere. I happen to have a 43mm cone morse 3 bit that I used to test it initially, 1 1/4" (32mm) seems a long way from it's real capacity, 50mm with a 3to4 CM adapter just romps through, no motor complaints just delicious click-calck of the 3,45m drive belt. A nice gentle auto-feed and a very sharp bit and off she goes.

There a no vendors badges on my machine. It still has the original Brooks motor on it.

There its something that I don't understand, on the left hand side of the horizontal down-feed shaft, on the opposite end of the three spoked handle, there is a rod about 3/8" in ø and about 6" in length that can be adjusted up and down with a knurled nut. It's not often that I can't figure the use of something out, but this one has me beat!

I presume that these machines were produced at least from the 1930s on. I haven't found any numbers on it yet, but I haven't finished wiping it of yet. As it gets oiled it gets wiped, so it's getting cleaner and cleaner.

Thanks for the bits of history, I shall be so cheaky as to copy your post as part of the "Mrs Denbigh" .doc. I have a nice old publicity pic that could become a "Mrs Denbigh" "T" Shirt, I must find some plain white ones.

Regards, Matthew

Could our members check, if by any chance there is a dealers plate on your drilling machines.
Denbigh Engineering Co. sadly ceased trading in nine-teen seventy.
Sorry to raise such an old thread (just bought a smaller Denbigh B.12.A bench drill). There's a 1939 advert I found using Google. Agents were:
Australia: McPherson's Pty. Ltd. Melbourne, Sydney and Adelaide.
New Zealand: J Chambers & Sons Ltd., Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch, Dunedin.
Canada: British Industries Ltd., Calgary, Alberta. - British Columbia Equipment Co., Ltd., Vancover.
South Africa: D Drury & Co. (1930) Pty., Ltd., Johannesburg

Don't know if any or all fitted dealers plates.

Cheers, Vann.

Vann,

it's nice to have a reply to an old thread. I bought 1955 Mc Phersons catalogue from someone on eBay.co.au with my pillar drill in it! [email protected] had a small sales brochure and that's asfar ad I got with that. The "Denbigh" gets daily use.

Regards, Matthew.

Sorry Mac but I can't agree. I worked on a " Denbigh " horizontal milling machine as an apprentice and I hated every minute I spent on it. It was without any doubt the worst milling machine I've ever worked on. Regards Tyrone.

Sorry Mac but I can't agree. I worked on a " Denbigh " horizontal milling machine as an apprentice and I hated every minute I spent on it. It was without any doubt the worst milling machine I've ever worked on. Regards Tyrone.

I'm sorry you had an unpleasant time on the horizontal milling machine as an aprentice, but we were talking about the "Denbigh" pillar drill.

Regards, Matthew.

Mattinker, Did you ever figure out what the rod was for and knurled nut??

It is missing off mine. If possible you you post some photos of it please.

I wonder when the ball handles came in and also when they started supply them with belt guards. That would narrow down dating mine as it has balls but no guard.

Hi!

The Factories act in the UK came in in 1955, but I would check up to find out when safety guards be came obligatory down under! How about posting some photos?

Regards, Matthew.

Back