What's new
What's new

PC Based Control Software for Delta Tau PMAC

bwgeez02

Plastic
I've got an older (1998) VMC with tool changer and the control software is pretty out dated, as far as I can tell. Is there control software that I could update this machine to with more post processor support? I'm willing to swap out the MB (ISA slot) to something newer with newer processor and ram with optional pci or pcie slots. I found one company that makes newer MBs and has some decent options. Thanks

How are the axis amps driven? That old may have a proprietary card that requires a certain type of slot.
Are you looking for a kit to install? Are you hiring it done? I have done retro fits on several machines but only one with a tool changer.

Ed.

It's a defiance vxt-1 with an ISA slot mother board and intel processor. Delta Tau Pmac with a dual port ram Delta Tau card on the mother board with the ISA slots x2. Yaskawa servopacks for all three axis and saftronics vg5 AC variable frequency drive for the spindle. I may just have to deal with the old version of the software and write my own post processor, but I was hoping I could get newer SW on it with a more common PP. I'm also a big open source guy, so I've written, or more accurately modified post processors for other machines, but nothing this complicated. It also has a 3.5G hard disk drive and the control SW runs on DOS max file size 64mb.

What the heck is a Delta Tau Pmac?
Will this need very special software?

Delta Tau is the company name and PMAC stands for programmable multi axis controller. It's just a PC (personal computer) based controller with a hard drive, motherboard, processor, etc, so runs on software rather than, I'm guessing, firmware for other CNC controllers. Pmac is an acronym, but it's not all that different between pc or non pc controls. Delta Tau is now Omron and as always is a manufacturer of motion control hardware and software.

Last edited:
Is the machine running the Delta Tau NC software package on Windows or a homegrown version user interface?

I know of several higher end PMAC CNC applications from that vintage that are still running. Here is one I did in my early days . . .
Mill-4.png

Back