Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Click on the logo and the photo below:

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was recently admiring a small crankshaft at a friends place - it turned out to be a Merlin crank, about 100mm long (4"), made from lead and "forged" (in a closed die I think) in a scale model forging press many years ago at Vickers in Sheffield. He showed me a photo of the model press that produced the little crankshafts - cool!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, I just purchased one of Dynamotive's Merlin casting sets off an estate sale. I've been doing my due diligence in searching all the information about building the Merlin that I can find, when I came across this thread. It's a shame no consensus was found about the crankshaft. For posterity, I have an old Boss Bridgeport and a manual mill. Between the 2 I will fab the crankshaft out of billet, which by far seems to me to be the way to go for a one off crank.

I am sure this is the start of years of late night milling...

John

4. Likes kustomizer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you don't mind, post some pics and keep us up to date with more pics I imagine several of us would like to see it progress.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Will do. The plan is to use the CNC Bridgeport sporting a 4th axis to rough the crank, and then switch to a tool post grinder on an ancient Monarch lathe to finish the journals. It will likely be a few months before I get started so I can finish off a couple other projects already started.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CJD View Post
    Well, I just purchased one of Dynamotive's Merlin casting sets off an estate sale. I've been doing my due diligence in searching all the information about building the Merlin that I can find, when I came across this thread. It's a shame no consensus was found about the crankshaft. For posterity, I have an old Boss Bridgeport and a manual mill. Between the 2 I will fab the crankshaft out of billet, which by far seems to me to be the way to go for a one off crank.

I am sure this is the start of years of late night milling...

John
    There was an investment caster in Fullerton (so cal) who was investment casting small replica V-8's for somebody back East. The crank was investment cast along with heads cases covers etc.

With a 3D printer it would be easy to make a 3D pattern using filament specifically for wax investment casting. Finding somebody to cast the crank economically would be your greatest challenge

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm not sure if it is the same casting kit, but Terry Mayhugh on the Home Model Engine Machinist web site did an extensive build page with detailed descriptions and photos so you may want to check that out if you haven't already found it.

Quarter Scale Merlin V-12 | Home Model Engine Machinist