What's new
What's new

Should Manufacturers use Twitter?

What do you think of Twitter for business?

• I currently use Twitter for business!

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • I personally use Twitter, but not for business.

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • I don't use Twitter, but would consider it for personal or business use someday.

Votes: 13 19.4%
  • I will never use Twitter.

Votes: 52 77.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Team Pierson

Plastic
Let's get to the bottom of this. It seems like everyone is using Twitter these days (individuals and businesses alike) and I hate it when new ideas with great potential get passed up by the manufacturing community. So, let's vote...

I posed a similar question here several months ago. Most didn't know what I was talking about. I am now considering dropping twitter as I am now receiving commercial adds in the form of requests to join my twitter site. Just got one from Yosemite RV Park.

Funny - the places I have worked (Fluor, Curtiss Wright) that sort of stuff never even comes close to getting in.

Fluor had another perfectly legit idea. None of their many thousands of computers had a sound card.

I liked it personally.

John Oder

It will NEVER be allowed in my shop. We have telephones and every one has their own extension. That,s been good enough for the last 36 years why change now? Don't get it.:willy_nilly:

This phrase from their site says it all "hyper–connected" ... Why would anyone need this? The whole social networking thing is for people (primarily teens, a.k.a punks) with nothing better to do. IMHO they/it has only made communications worse and acts as a big distraction.

It's actually pretty rude how most people will respond to any noise their cell phone, blackberry, etc. will make no matter what is going on or who they are talking to. I have come close many times to soaking someone's device in their coffee cup for constantly going off and being way too loud.

I don't mind staying in touch with people but I don't need a USB cable out my a@@ to do it.

Phew, glad I got that off my chest ...

Funny - the places I have worked (Fluor, Curtiss Wright) that sort of stuff never even comes close to getting in.

Fluor had another perfectly legit idea. None of their many thousands of computers had a sound card.

I liked it personally.

John Oder

Me too.

Where I work, they asked me if I wanted "sametime".
I viewed a demo.....

So In the middle of a very large, complicated, solid model job, up
pops a window some ^%$#@#! idiot says " hey dude, watcha doin ?"

I don't think so. You crash my work, I crash your face.

I also don't like the "poll" function on this website, I think it should
be disabled.

Doug

ON EDit:
"I don't mind staying in touch with people but I don't need a USB cable out my a@@ to do it."

No really, tell us how you really feel....blew soda on my keyboard on your reply, excellent.

Yes, and why do visitors to the next cube over need "TO CALL IN AN AIRSTRIKE" when
yaking on their cell phone ?

I have mumbled the following just loud enough to present a subliminal message
in said phone addict's head:
"Pull the string a little tighter, they can't hear you in Mexico"

Twitter is a communications method whereas a mundane mind can communicate their worthless thoughts to an uncaring audience.

There is a definition for you

I use Twitter to keep all of my gay friends informed of all the gay things I do. I can't imagine why a business wouldn't want all of their employees spending all their time telling all their gay friends about all the gay things they do.

I have never used twitter. I was not exactly sure what it was, so I went to thier website and watched this short video that explains it. http://dotsub.com/api/smallplayer.php?filmid=3066&filminstance=3068&language=none I want the last two minutes of my life back.

Twitter looks like the ultimate time waster...like MySpace, texting, and having your thumb up your a$$ - all at the same time. I can't see right now how this would be benificial for a manufacturing business.

I didnt know what Twitter was till I read this thread. FWIW I am 23, you would think I would be in on this stuff?

Also...Myspace.....

The only place you cant hide from your ex's :willy_nilly:

I'd liken Twitter to the CB radio fad -- some folks got good use out of it (e.g. truckers) and for others it was just cool for a while.

There ARE people who need quick updates and short text messages to whatever device is closest at hand makes sense. Some folks are even using them for updates on things like the progression of a wild fire. Phone messages aren't nearly as useful and having something that's pretty universal across mobile and fixed (e.g. desktop computer) platforms is good.

There's another class of users, who actually do have a following and people interested in their observations. The Autodesk evangelist Lynn Allen is an example. She has a hectic schedule and uses it to provide quick updates of mostly technical stuff -- sort of a blog on the fly. It's useful for both the evangelist/star/pundit and those who think they have something interesting to say. Twitter has increasingly gone from meaningless chat (I'm having lunch now) to links to interesting articles (Here's an interesting article on the future of CAD/CAM . . .).

For most users I suspect Twitter is the fad du jour -- the latest way to stay in touch with friends.

Rkward,

I don't need a USB cable out my a@@ to do it.

I love it and agree. It pisses me off to see people doing things on a cell phone while driving. When I'm on the road and see someone wanting to pull out into traffic, if they are on a cell phone, I don't let them out.

I have a cell phone but if we are in a restaurant and my phone rings (silent/vibrate), I may look at it and then decide to go to the restroom and call them back or wait 'til later.

Some people will have their phones full blast and then answer it to talk about nothing. You hear some old woman saying " I farted last night and it came out sideways. Smelled like pork 'n beans, and I haven't ate those in years". What the hell do we care. Plus she is talking in the middle of a funeral!!!!!!!!:eek:

There is a time and place for everything, but the people using/abusing it make it a pain in the butt.

JAckal

My only recommendation ... never act your age.

Translation: don't bother trying to fit in ... always do your own thing.

You being here at 23 is already a good sign ...

I didnt know what Twitter was till I read this thread. FWIW I am 23, you would think I would be in on this stuff?

Also...Myspace.....

The only place you cant hide from your ex's :willy_nilly:

I don't understand texting, and have absolutely no intention of finding out more about twitter other than what I've learned seeing the interview with the founder. IMO it's stupid.

What do you possibly gain by reducing your brand/image to a little blurb that will be smothered by everyone elses pointless drivel?

Take the new South Bend lathe folks for example. They're smart enough to realize that their marketing should be limited to those with explicit interest in their product offerings rather than trying to convince the cnc guys or the European machine owners they make a great manual lathe. Even if the message is well received, they're not likely to make a sale from it and subsequently don't wish to pay for that exposure.

Are you likely to win customers in whatever ridiculously small character limit you get with a tweet? Is that little blurb the right interaction medium for you to get your core services recognized? I see it as "here's the 20 characters I have time for" and that means you don't care too much about details, or good communication.

Most of my market uses text messages, and facebook, and all that crap. I still sell to them just fine without even allowing text's to be received on my phone.

Well, I twiddle around and putter around and diddle around and spend the rest of the time sitting around drinking but I don't have a clue what twittering is and really don't care.

Back