What's new
What's new

Valenite 2" Face Mill Carbide Identification

steamandsteel

Aluminum
Hello,

Picked up a 2" Valenite Indexable Face Mill.

Trying to figure out what these inserts are, and what others might recommend to replace them with.

Info on the bottom reads:

Valenite vue90e-020r-08-f075 made in USA 4t0

Inserts take countersunk screws and are otherwise flat top and bottom

Pics below

IMG_1824.jpg
IMG_1828.jpg
IMG_1829.jpg
IMG_1830.jpg

Had a Ingersoll face mill the same size about twenty five years ago that used a insert very similar to that one. The face mill is long gone and I don't have any inserts to compare with. Might go look at Ingersoll website and see if there is anything there that might work.
Also, whats left of Valenite is now owned by Walter Tools, I believe it is, may look there too. Other than that, you may have a 2 lb boat anchor there.

Yes this is Valenite's answer to the the Ingersoll mill cutter design. The Val-U-Edge series with a different screw hole put in the body to get around the patent at the time.
Actually a pretty darn decent cutter as the tooth density is high. In this fine pitch 8 teeth in a 2 inch milling cutter and double positive.
Bad side, only two corners per insert.
Bob

After a while of searching, found an other post on PM:

Need help figuring out what inserts to use in a face mill

Seems these face mills take a CDEW 322.42 R insert.

valenite.jpg

I find some odd collections of them on eBay, but does anyone make anything close to this insert, or something that could be interchanged? Like if I change to a SHCS or different fastener?

This face mill is really fantastic and the cut quality is superb, even with throttled carbides. If this one is obsolete, can anyone recommend a suitable replacement face mill? Just looking for a 2 or 2.5" face mill of reasonable quality.

No interchange.
Not a screw problem but the side rake.
This on 11 degrees and a standard CDE made by many is 17.
It can be made of course and I've made well over 10,000 of them. The tools in your hand may well have seen my grinders.
You would not want to buy 8, 16 or 32 in a custom run. There are four machine setups involved here at close to a hour each.
A standard CDE will sort of fit so if found very, very cheap maybe a try. It will only contact that back wall at the top and be 6 more positive on the leading edge.
Screw should not be a problem.

It is a very nice high density cutter that is much different than most offerings.
Bob

Bob,

Thank you for the in-depth explanation. I was able to find a couple packs of carbides online that should last me a while. How many carbides would need to be ordered to make it worth while? 100, 1000? Just out of curiosity more than anything

Back