What's new
What's new

220v single phase to 220v three phase

Best way to covert lathe 220v single phase to 220v three phase 5hp 220v motor
There are a couple questions in there....

1) how to convert the lathe

2) how to get the three phase.

You might specify what you want, the conversion, the 3 phase, or both. And, maybe some comment about why you want the conversion, whether for better smoothness of operation, or for variable speed, and so forth.

Some idea of the project budget is also good to know. Not necessarily exact dollars, but range of cost.

Converting the lathe has all sorts of issues, since what is in it may be set up for 2 wire single phase. That can be replaced with 3 phase compatible, rewired if already compatible, or bypassed, depending on what you want, and how the 3 phase is obtained.

As to how to get 3 phase, there are several ways.

a) from the power company if available at your location.

b) using a Phase Perfect converter, if you care to spend fairly large $$

c) with a VFD, particularly if you want variable speed. This is your method for variable speed.

d) with an RPC, a "rotary phase converter". Those vary from very simple, through fairly low cost "kit type" units, and onward to fairly high dollar pre-built types. They can also be built, if a turn-key installation is not what you want to pay for, and you are reasonably capable electrically.

Decided to go with Rotary phase converter. Bite the bullet and go on.
Always handy, it lets you plug-and-play when you want more machinery (and you surely will!)
I home-brewed mine (I think there's a write-up and some wiring schmatics in the RPC thread), and can run lathe, mill, bandsaw, TIG welder, humunguous pillar drill (a halfway-radial, Meddings F14) and anything else I fancy! Just not all at once...
I did use an old oil-cooled welder (with a new bobbin and winding) as an isolating transformer to get up from 240v to 415v before the converter though, as most industrial equipment in the UK/Europe/rest of the world is 400v 3-phase - no digging out motor star points, literal plug-and-play!

A motor wired for 240 but fed only 120 will likely spin, but the peak torque will be 1/4th of what it should be. So under anything close to less than half of its rated load, it will slow down, pull high current and overload. But if the load is extremely light, it might go unnoticed. I’ve come across several bench grinders used only for tool sharpening where this has happened, but because the load is so light compared to what the motor was capable of, they ran that way for years.

Hello people, have any of you ever wondered where to get energy? one evening I was drinking red wine and a crazy idea came to me, drinking is sometimes useful, the idea is to go for high voltage, about 800-900 volts, I bought a mosfet for 1700 volts, and with span drivers, only for 1200 volts, ideally I need I get 1200 volts from the generator but the drivers are slowing me down, if you have suggestions and wishes then let’s talk, we simple and working people need to prepare for bad times and be ready
that's my dream

Hands down - I would go with a VFD. I have 3 phase available but prefer to have my Cincinnatti mill with 2HP 3 phase run through a VFD on 220V Single Phase - adjust the speed to whatever I want.

Hands down - I would go with a VFD. I have 3 phase available but prefer to have my Cincinnatti mill with 2HP 3 phase run through a VFD on 220V Single Phase - adjust the speed to whatever I want.
I didn’t say enough, 1200 volts 0.5 amperes with a drive through a pulse generator up to 220 volts and about 5 amperes , I apologize for the English, I'm from Russia

Last edited:

Back