What's new
What's new

9A Foot Brake Spindle

Go to Google Books and search for the April 1955 issue of Popular Mechanics. On page 205 is an article detailing how to build a brake for lathes. Two variants are shown: a manually activated brake (pull a cable) that could easily be made into a foot operated brake, and the same unit activated automatically by an electromagnet wired into the motor switch.

It doesn't look hard to build. I may have to build one myself some day.

Josh

The thing is you don't have to alter your machine other than the two 1/4 20 holes down by the motor to atach the bracket.Do you think you can do it for 235 bucks?:nutter:

The thing is you don't have to alter your machine other than the two 1/4 20 holes down by the motor to atach the bracket.Do you think you can do it for 235 bucks?:nutter:

Whats that all about ?:confused:

The comunity is all about sharing but it seams to me that you want the group to R&D and advertise your gadget without sharing .So that you can go off and make your money.Well good for you.
:nutter:

Don

Well, call me crazy if you want. I thought mcruff might like to see an example of how one works.

Without seeing how yours works, I can draw no direct comparisons. However, the one in the '55 PM article requires no modifications whatever. The bracket slips under the motor foot and uses the same holes. Could I do it for $235? Yeah, I could...probably much less. I'd have to buy some brake lining, which would be about $30 from McMaster-Carr...or I might just have my local brake shop line the shoes for me, which wouldn't run much more. The rest of the material can probably be found in my scrap box - you might not be so lucky. And to be fair, if I were manufacturing them my srap box would be depleted mighty fast.

There is another set of plans in Popular Mechanics. I can't find that issue right off, but I remember it being the mid 1960s (66?). That one was really simple; bolted to the bed similar to a carriage stop, and pressed a little shoe against the headstock pulley (it was I SB9A, I think) when operated. Although clever, I don't think it is quite as elegant as the one from '55. It also could interfere with using other bed-mounted accessories close to the headstock.

Anyway, I did watch your video. Your brake certainly looks effective, and you should be proud of it. Best of luck,

Josh

Well, call me crazy if you want. I thought mcruff might like to see an example of how one works.
Josh
Now I never said I didn't want to see it, I just said he was trying to make money and probably didn't want to share it. I would love to see it!!! I might actually try to build me one with a mountain bike disk brake setup.

$235 is steap for people that fix and restore machines all day. just another project to us.
its like selling ice to a eskimo really. i built a 5 hp rotary phase converter for less.

There is another set of plans in Popular Mechanics. I can't find that issue right off, but I remember it being the mid 1960s (66?). That one was really simple; bolted to the bed similar to a carriage stop, and pressed a little shoe against the headstock pulley (it was I SB9A, I think) when operated. Although clever, I don't think it is quite as elegant as the one from '55. It also could interfere with using other bed-mounted accessories close to the headstock.

October 1966, pg. 188

http://books.google.com/books?id=yd...tcover&source=gbs_summary_r&cad=0_0#PPA188,M1

Rick

Back