What's new
What's new

Anyone use Rust Bullet Coating on a Machine Tool ?

Dan from Oakland

Titanium
I have a Berco vertical spindle grinder that I'm in the process of rebuilding and the previous owner was not too good at keeping his coolant concentration up to snuff. We have had to clean every inch of the base with a needle scaler to remove the fused on grinding fines- even the stone mount for the segmented wheel needed to be cleaned with the needle scaler. this thing was bad- filled the shop vac several times, even after scooping up the big chunks.

I'm considering using a rust inhibiting coating product called Rust Bullet and was wondering if anyone has any experience with it. We have the base down to bare metal and will use Metal Prep on it prior to any coating. Wondering how the Rust Bullet will holdup to coolant. Yea, I know, call the manufacturer, but I thought I would throw it out here also.
I will most likely top coat it with single stage Acrylic Enamel.
Thanks all.

I don't know about the acrylic enamel, but I've been using alkyd enamels on my machine rebuilds for several years. Once well dried, they've proven immune to most of the plain oils I use, cutting oil, dark cutting oil, even WD-40.

They are not, however, immune to coolant. Admittedly I've only used a couple brands, but the coolant definitely (slightly) softened it.

In response, I repainted the drip tray of one of the lathes (small turret, not enclosed CNC) with POR-15, which as I understand is very similar to Rust Bullet. The POR-15 has held up very well, including against dropped parts and while sweeping up sharp chips.

Doc.

Back