What's new
What's new

Best Type of Collet Closer for Accuracy used on 10EE

Cory

Cast Iron
Hello,

What is the more accurate type 5C collet closer for a 10EE?
Sjogren?
Monarch Draw bar?
Monarch or another Lever closer?

If you were making a small run of parts which closer would be more accurate for cutting to a length? If you tighten the Sjogren and Draw bar different every time does that effect the part dimension? Does the lever hold a better tolerance because it draws to the same pressure every time? The carriage would be locked so it doesn't move as you make your facing cut. The collet would have a stop in it.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
You can get dead-length 5C collets so that tightening on a Sjogren or handwheel is not part of your tolerance stack up. This would be the way to go if you were looking for tight length control.

With a standard collet your pull back will vary if you have any variation in clamp diameter.

A collet chuck like a Sjogren that does not need a drawbar lets you put a hard stop in the spindle taper. That takes collet pull-back out of the equation at the expense of potentially marking parts as the collet pulls into the gripped position. I have a homemade hard stop with a Jarno taper for my 10EE. I also have an Aloris hard stop that expands further back in the spindle bore to lock in place. These work great.

A collet chuck like a Sjogren that does not need a drawbar lets you put a hard stop in the spindle taper. That takes collet pull-back out of the equation at the expense of potentially marking parts as the collet pulls into the gripped position. I have a homemade hard stop with a Jarno taper for my 10EE. I also have an Aloris hard stop that expands further back in the spindle bore to lock in place. These work great.
I have some very small drill chucks on MT2 arbors. I've taken these and put them into the Jarno to MT2 adapter behind a Sjogren. Then it's possible to mount custom stops in the drill chuck. Somewhat limited on lengths. The expanding, in spindle, stops allow much longer parts.

If you are not sold on 5C, consider 2J if your goal is accuracy. 5C collets are much wimpier than 2J, and are easily sprung, which affects accuracy and not in a good way.

The advantage of using a lever-action collet closer is that drawback is the same every time, so you can use collet stops that fit in the collet. Sjogren made a lever-action 2J collet closer, but they are as rare as hens teeth.

Back