What's new
What's new

Hello, new guy here.

Kyle M.

Plastic
Hello all. I hope this is the proper place for an introduction. Anyway new guy here I'm only 28 so a young guy. I spent the last 7 years working in a small machine shop/foundry that makes bronze bushings. My first 4 years I ran a couple of Warner & Swasey 2A's and a 4A depending on the job at hand, also ran a few other smaller conventional lathes. Most of the work was just straight turn and bore, but there were some O.D. and I.D. grooves and chamfers from time to time. I had to learn to do my own set ups and do my own final inspections. The last 3 years I ran a Haas VF4 CNC mill and a Haas ST30 lathe. My dad was the companies programmer and the time and while I had to learn to do minor edits I am in no way a programmer but I had to do my own setups and final inspections on those machines too. For the past 8 months I've been working at the local Timken plant running 6 Heald 1CF90 I.D. grinders, I originally trained on the 0CF90's and then was moved to the 1CF's. Our plant has 50 1CF90's and 18 0CF90's. The 18 0CF's and 42 of the 1CF's run 2-3 shifts a day 5 and 6 days a week. The other 8 1CF's are currently being rebuilt by our machine repair department. 3 of the 6 that I run on a daily basis were just rebuilt a year ago. The other 3 were retrofitted by SNI about 10 years ago and I personally do not care for them.

Myself I find these old machines fascinating and want to learn more about them. There seems to be very little online overall about the Heald Machine Company and especially the Controlled Force series of I.D. grinders. I was hoping maybe somebody here could point me in the direction of some reading material? Maybe there's some online repair manuals somewhere I could check out or maybe someone has some stories about these machines? Or pictures of them installed and running? All but 8 of the currently running 1CF's have Allen Bradley touch screen controls, the other 8 and all of the 0CF's have some older form of control I'm not familiar with they have a keypad input and screen for certain operations but it is only a two line display. Would all of these machines originally have run on punch tapes? As I undertand it all of these machines have been installed in this plant since it they were purchased new, and have just been retrofitted over the years. Thanks in advance for any info.

Last edited:
spaces work wonders to make your post easier to read.

Please read the stickies up top about making an appropriate title.

I have been inside the Timken plant and have seen that cell of vintage Heald ID Grinders. I would think Timken would have file cabinets full of manuals and documentation on Healds. I have rebuild several over the years and helped Timken machine repair do them when I taught scraping classes there. see below. Please say hello to the guys in rebuild as I would think many of my students still work there.

A reference letter Timken gave me of my training:

"Ever since you instructed our first group of rebuilders, we have had numerous requests to have you back to instruct the remaining rebuilders. Your ability to adjust your class to fit our needs left a lasting impression.
Even though our rebuilders are experienced at scraping, they learned new techniques to improve accuracy and efficiency. The rebuilders had a lot of praise regarding the class and recognized your expertise as you worked along side them.
I strongly recommend King Way ... seminar for instruction in Basic 40/40 Hand and Advanced Machine scraping. It is excellent for anyone who is doing machine rebuilding or slide retrofitting."

Norm J.
Supervisor Machine Rebuild • TIMKEN • Canton, OH 44706

I can give you some info that might help. Heald Machine Co. - History | VintageMachinery.org mostly history.
and
This company also has a huge supply of grinder repair parts for many brands. They purchased hundreds of machines from the auto industry so I would bet the sell manuals too.

You are being redirected...

Also if you would like to learn how to scrape I will be teaching a rebuilding / scraping class in Zanesville OH Aug 2 - 6 and we have room for a couple of more people. message me and I have more info in the rebuilding forum on here. Rich

I have been inside the Timken plant and have seen that cell of vintage Heald ID Grinders. I would think Timken would have file cabinets full of manuals and documentation on Healds. I have rebuild several over the years and helped Timken machine repair do them when I taught scraping classes there. see below. Please say hello to the guys in rebuild as I would think many of my students still work there.

A reference letter Timken gave me of my training:

"Ever since you instructed our first group of rebuilders, we have had numerous requests to have you back to instruct the remaining rebuilders. Your ability to adjust your class to fit our needs left a lasting impression.
Even though our rebuilders are experienced at scraping, they learned new techniques to improve accuracy and efficiency. The rebuilders had a lot of praise regarding the class and recognized your expertise as you worked along side them.
I strongly recommend King Way ... seminar for instruction in Basic 40/40 Hand and Advanced Machine scraping. It is excellent for anyone who is doing machine rebuilding or slide retrofitting."

Norm J.
Supervisor Machine Rebuild • TIMKEN • Canton, OH 44706

I can give you some info that might help. Heald Machine Co. - History | VintageMachinery.org mostly history.
and
This company also has a huge supply of grinder repair parts for many brands. They purchased hundreds of machines from the auto industry so I would bet the sell manuals too.

You are being redirected...

Also if you would like to learn how to scrape I will be teaching a rebuilding / scraping class in Zanesville OH Aug 2 - 6 and we have room for a couple of more people. message me and I have more info in the rebuilding forum on here. Rich

Thanks for the info Richard. I imagine that they do have a ton of literature on these machines but whether or not I'd be allowed any access to it I simply do not know. All of our repair poeple that I've talken to seem slightly taken aback when I start asking questions. It's almost like they don't understand why anyone would want to know more than they have too about these machines. I work at the Bucyrus Ohio plant, did you train repair people there or at Canton? Most of our machine repair guys have been here 20 years or less, I only know of one who has over 20 years in and he is about to retire.

I found that page on vintage machinery the other night and it was basically all I could find on the Heald Machine Company. This is the first I'm seeing the GCH link, but I found another company called Mrse. Is one of these companies the former SNI (Service Network Incorporated) or tied to them? As far as service manuals I'd really like to find one but imagine they cost a pretty penny, then again maybe not. I've never really looked for vintage machine manuals. I might have to contact one of the two about them.

Also thanks for the offer on the scraping class but at the current time I don't know how much good it would actually do me as I am only a machine attendant, I'm also working 6 days a week at this time. It would certainly benefit me if I ever get into the repair department which is a long term goal of mine.

Back