What's new
What's new

Help, VFD E-Stop

rbertalotto

Aluminum
A few months ago I decided to convert my milling machine to three phase using a 220v single phase to 220v three phase inverter. I bought a very popular inverter off Amazon. Wired it up and it is an amazing improvement to my shop. I liked it so much I just received the exact same components to convert my lathe. I have no issue using the control panel to operate all the functions I want by mounting it remotely. But I need some type of emergency stop as the "stop" button is way too small for an emergency situation. I ordered an E-Stop module from Amazon. But try as I may, I can't figure out how to install it to effectively stop the machines in an emergency. The switch itself is rated 200v/3a so with the VFD drawing around 9 amps, I can't just insert it into the power wiring. I'd rather not incorporate a magnetic relay/switch. So I want to connect it via the VFD but still have control of the attached control panel functions. Can anyone explain to me how to accomplish this. Thanks!
P1070080.JPG

Attachments

• P1070081.JPG
    P1070081.JPG
    916.5 KB · Views: 12
  • P1070079.JPG
    P1070079.JPG
    1,010.5 KB · Views: 9
  • P1070078.JPG
    P1070078.JPG
    285.4 KB · Views: 13
That VFD is pretty questionable.... Probably the "brand not discussed here" (very popular on Amazon).

But the question applies to most VFDs so no issues.

Real e-stop capabilities actually cut power, and do not depend on a chain of things working correctly.

Some VFDs have an "STO" feature (safe torque off) that allows cutting power to the output devices, which positively shuts down the output. UL accepts that.

Back