What's new
What's new

Help With Shaper Repair

CarbonArc

Plastic
I am looking for someone with a planer or large shaper that could resurface the ways of my Havir 8 inch shaper ram. The length of the ways is about 20". The ram had extreme scoring (~1/16") across nearly the entire way pictured. I built it back up with RCI-b, so it is soft & homogenous throughout. I am located in Humboldt County, California.

Attachments

• Havir Ram.jpg
    Havir Ram.jpg
    362.6 KB · Views: 55
Yeah a lot of flat and dovetailed ways were planed and that obviously works. One reason I think the planing or shaping method fell out of favor is because of surface grinding and better grinding wheel technology which was faster and more accurate. And that surface grinding might be a whole lot easier to find someone that can do so. Getting it close by milling and removing most of the extra filler would probably make that final grinding cheaper. My little A!!!S horizontal shows signs of blanchard grinding which isn't known as a real high precision method compared to surface grinding. If it was surface ground, I think you'd still want to flake it for better oil retention though. But if the ram ways were scored that bad, then the female dovetail and gib probably need some attention as well. From my perspective, it sort of defeats the purpose of restoring the ram back to precision dimensions and a decent surface finish and then fit it back onto your shaper with by now it's probably worn and scored ways.

Just curious if you welded the entire surface of the ram with RCI-b, or just the obvious craters and streaks resulting from lack of proper lubrication. It may not be a problem at all in either case.
My brothers Shape-Rite had really bad ways where the ram sat on the main body, and he trued it up, and milled it down to a uniform 1/16" inch below original height, and we screwed down some 1/16" thick phosphor bronze strips to bring it back up to height.

See
at 3:20. This method took a LOT of scraping, but it turned out very well.

Good luck with this.

Dan

Just curious if you welded the entire surface of the ram with RCI-b, or just the obvious craters and streaks resulting from lack of proper lubrication. It may not be a problem at all in either case.
My brothers Shape-Rite had really bad ways where the ram sat on the main body, and he trued it up, and milled it down to a uniform 1/16" inch below original height, and we screwed down some 1/16" thick phosphor bronze strips to bring it back up to height.

See
at 3:20. This method took a LOT of scraping, but it turned out very well.

Good luck with this.

Dan
I only welded the galled areas. This left a few inches of untouched way on each end of the ram. My idea was to indicate off of those areas and the other way to make sure the cut is straight.

Back