What's new
What's new

How simple can CNC Machining get?

I'll never understand this "can we have a simple way ? how to avoid nasty g-code ?!" stuff.

How simple can you get ? Go straight, go left, go right, go fast, go slow. People come up with all this weirdass crap to avoid the dreaded g-code.

It's retarded. G-code is the simplest, most basic way to tell a machine what to do.
works for a basic lathe and mill, but live tooling slots and all good luck hand coding in a day.

There's some of the old PM spirit :D :D

To the OP... Seriously, do some reading on your own (the link posted above actually WAS helpful if you'd explore it), thicken up your skin some, and when you've got some base knowledge, you'll begin to understand more of the posts here, and you'll begin to understand what questions you should ask to get proper answers here.

To use the drywall analogy again, you're currently asking "Should I use mud or caulk when I tape my joints?", and when we tell you to use mud, you say "But I think I should be able to use caulk".... That's why you're getting this reception. Crusty or not, PM is generally where all the guys who actually really, REALLY know their stuff hang around. It's worth sticking around and learning what questions you should ask. The guys can be crusty, but if you show an interest in helping yourself, they're also usually pretty generous with their knowledge. Consider that most applications guys for CNC machining, setup, or programming are often billing at $200+/hr + per diem + travel + lodging.... The knowledge you can get here for free is invaluable.
... what... in the... huh???? bet you got a big ol' caulk storage...

The question is 'how simple can cnc machining get"
and you post a link to CAD only software :rolleyes5:
Hold the picture in front of the control, tell it you need +/-.0001 on all dimensions, press the green button, wait a few moments, retrieve your completed part.

Easy.

Hold the picture in front of the control, tell it you need +/-.0001 on all dimensions, press the green button, wait a few moments, retrieve your completed part.

Easy.
Ya well, funny but I knew a guy that bought a used cnc lathe for about 3 times what it was worth. He was enamored with the color screen and 'conversational' software included in the control. Couple days after it was delivered, he figured out what "G" code really was. A week later I stopped by, he was standing at the machine with a print, overrides turned way down. Pushes GREEN button, machine no workie like he wanted.......RED button.....smack side of control pendant a couple times, kick the sheet metal. I left after the 2nd repeat performance. Machine mostly sat for 4-5 years, then sold at large loss.
I -tried- to explain things a bit.....he knew better.

Ya well, funny but I knew a guy that bought a used cnc lathe for about 3 times what it was worth. He was enamored with the color screen and 'conversational' software included in the control. Couple days after it was delivered, he figured out what "G" code really was. A week later I stopped by, he was standing at the machine with a print, overrides turned way down. Pushes GREEN button, machine no workie like he wanted.......RED button.....smack side of control pendant a couple times, kick the sheet metal. I left after the 2nd repeat performance. Machine mostly sat for 4-5 years, then sold at large loss.
I -tried- to explain things a bit.....he knew better.
I've heard of a few people being successful running other people's programs. Have you not? Pretty sure there was a YouTube video from PM about a guy too. Kind of surprised how hard it is to make a living in this field on manual machines and all the Investments and tooling needed to be capable.

If I lost everything tomorrow, I could go make 1k per day with $100 worth of tools and a $5 add the next day. I figure machining probably scales better, but the left selling the middle class out with "preferred trading status" in th 1980s with China really seems to have destroyed small manual shops.

I've been manual machining for years and recently acquired a Haas ST-10 that I've been teaching myself how to use with mastercam. There's tons of math and numbers in machining in general (calculating speeds and feeds, reading and inferring drawings, angles, measuring). 75% of it is simple addition, subtraction, and dividing by 2.

In terms of CNC machining, the cam software does make it a breeze to the point where you're not just looking at lines of code the entire time. however, it's still good practice to know what the code is saying and doing, even if the program is writing it for you. I'm always going back into the post and adding a coolant command or changing a speed or feed rate on a new program. The software is basically just drawing a part from dimensions and then creating a toolpath for the machine. In the toolpath, you will need to calculate speeds and feeds, depth of cuts, and other standard machining numbers. The biggest surprise for me when I began working with cnc was offsets, it requires a decent amount of thought and input to locate the machine, it's tooling, and the work piece so they dont crash into eachother. If I had to go back and worry about anything prior, it would be understanding offsets.

You need to do an informercial or sell a how to book. I'd buy it.
Really not as hard as you might think. This paid 13k and finished in 3 days. I've thought of doing youtube but gave uo on the video editing. Dicking around on a computer isnt my idea of fun. Probably the same for cnc I'd guess.

Attachments

• 20190623_155535.jpg
    20190623_155535.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 31
Really not as hard as you might think. This paid 13k and finished in 3 days. I've thought of doing youtube but gave uo on the video editing. Dicking around on a computer isnt my idea of fun. Probably the same for cnc I'd guess.
Well there's that. I'm not sure what's worse, drywall or a full on spray of coolant in the face. Maybe the money would change my mind after-a-while. Seems like in theory drywall is simple enough you could actually hire a crew to do it, maybe not.

Looking at the picture, you said $100 worth of tools. Those sissor lifts aren't free are they?

Well there's that. I'm not sure what's worse, drywall or a full on spray of coolant in the face. Maybe the money would change my mind after-a-while. Seems like in theory drywall is simple enough you could actually hire a crew to do it, maybe not.

Looking at the picture, you said $100 worth of tools. Those sissor lifts aren't free are they?
A large majority of the time lifts are on site provided by GCs freebof charge. I'm talking about the decking though. Also quite a bit more then 1k. I also do drywall but fk drywall in every different direction. You can contract out to work, never touch tools and do a lot better than that. But again not something I like spending my time doing.

Back