What's new
What's new

Plastic Morse taper sleeve

Kraftwerk

Plastic
I picked up this 3-4 Butterfield taper sleeve that is well and accurately made, but instead of steel it's made of a translucent plastic.
I'm hoping someone can advise what it was made for.IMG_0406.JPGIMG_0405.JPGIMG_0408.JPG

Is is made like an adapter? It says 3-4 on it.

I have been told that those were made to use with damaged/dinged-up tapers that would not hold well metal-to-metal. That may be one for that purpose, or it may be for something else.

I have quite a few of these. Almost all the major twist drill makers made them.
You can still buy them. I think they came out with these in the 1950's.
They made them in all sizes, 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 etc.
The nylon sleeve is designed to give way under heavy loads before the stress can ruin the drill bit or the internal socket of the drill spindle.

Rob

Thanks for the replies!
Regarding availability, I searched on the 'net a couple years ago and couldn't find them. I checked again now and still can't, but I did find someone else asking the same questions about them on the Home Shop Machinist site.

It's surprising that a nylon sleeve can transmit enough torque to drill a hole in metal.

"You can still buy them."
Any links?

They do transmit high torque due to the large surface area of the tapers..........they may also have a filler that transmits torque .......plastics always have fillers .

MACHINE TOOL ACCESSORIES
High Precision - Heat Treated

Nylon Drill Sleeves - Morse Taper

Interesting, I wonder how they heat treat nylon.

Pretty much the usual type of annealing and normalising methods at an appropriate temperature. Usually with some sort of atmospheric control, such as a sealed container, rather than in the open air.

For nylon the process is said to increase crystallinity significantly improving dimensional stability, toughness and load carrying abilities. Many references claim that heat treating is essential if close tolerance components are to be made otherwise modest temperature changes, 10°C or so, will produce sufficient dimensional change to take things out of tolerance.

Google turns up many references, including plenty of scientific papers.

Clive

Last edited:

Back