What's new
What's new

US Air Compressor MK Series

Reviving an old thread, still getting some vibration and I'm thinking my belts are part of the problem, one is slightly longer. Will banded v belts work? In theory a banded dual belt would eliminate the possibility of the two belts not being perfectly matched.

I missed this thread when you first started it, but after reading through it, I don't seem to find where you checked the fit of the pulley on the pump's crankshaft. Some are tapered and some are straight. Either way, if the pulley is even a little bit loose on the crank, it can make a lot of noise or even wobble a bit. If there is any wobble at the pump end it can induce an axial fluctuation at the motor end and/or make the belts appear suspect.
Larry

I have checked the alignment of the pulleys and removed them both , neither was loose in fact both required a jaw puller for removal. I've notice a difference in the length of the belts without the compressor running, while setting the belt tension . both belts are new gates 5v wedge industrial belts. In the process of looking for new ones I came across banded dual 5v belts at 2 Band

Wondering if these have specific pulley requirements or work on most dual wedge belt setups.

Before I bought matched belts, I'd make sure the belts you have are at fault. Tension the belts so that one is correctly tensioned, then swap each belt to the other groove and see if the tension problem moves with the "loose" belt.
I've had no experience with banded belts. I'd ask the people at a good bearing/belt supply.
Larry

The rib belts can be put on regular pulleys,where I worked we did it all the time. The difference is that you can't roll them on without moving the motor. I have never seen a two belt rib belt,most of the ones we used were B and C size and four or more across.
The thrust or end play is normal on small motors,they are magnetically held when running,and both bearings slide to allow for rotor expansion. If it can't move there will be problems.

OK, so I get an e-mail from PM by wardkm123 asking about the solenoid unloader set-up on my MK air compressor. I can't seem to find that posting here, so thought I should address it anyway.
I used a scrap piece of aluminum angle to mount the solenoid to the original unloader position on the cover plate. I wired the normally open solenoid to the motor terminals at the pressure on/off switch. The piping originally to the OEM unloader is now fixed to the solenoid. When the motor is energized the solenoid closes and pressure is fed to the tank as normal. When the pressure reaches shut off psi, it cuts electricity to the motor and solenoid which returns the solenoid to its open position allowing head pressure to drain off so at next start up there is no back pressure to be overcome.
If wardkn123, or anyone else, would like a photo, please send a PM and I will see if my camera still works. Thanks all.

Back