What's new
What's new

winter storage of machines

Got to say, my workshop for the last 15 years is unheated (rental) and all I do is oil them normally (1.5HP J2 Bridgeport, 6500 Colchester-Clausing 13" lathe, 42ton Uni-Hydro punch) and cover them with a Cotton Canvas tarp (the off white painter's drop cloth type). They just drape across, no clips or anything. Remember you can only minimize the column of wet air above the cold steel. Unless you have a breeze additional damp air is not going to go under the tarp.

I looked at the shaper E-head on my Bridgeport the other day, it has been covered the whole time as I have not needed to use it, and there are only a few little dots of rust on the clapper and none on the slide, the way oil was dry but was still protecting it.

I was able to store machines outdoors in NNJ throughout a winter with a pretty simple system..
Lay a moving blanket and then a tarp over each machine, and a 20w-60w(or so) bulb plugged into a simple socket sitting somewhere on the table or ways, maybe a second one in the motor compartment of a lathe or something. The machine just needs to be a LITTLE bit warmer than the surrounding air to keep condensation from forming.
If you want to go all out, get “DampRid” packets and hang them inside as well. You will be thankful in the Spring. Don’t lay them on the table or anything, the way they wrk they trap the water, the don’t absorb it.
I kept machines outside for 6 months, perfectly healthy this way, when in a predicament before.

Fluid film is a reliable product. Spray cans are expensive. Buy it by the gallon for about $36.00 and brush it and wipe it on. It goes a long way.
It contains lanolin.

I worked in a place years ago that left a brand new cnc mill outside in a loading dock bay in the winter months with no ill effects. It was protected by factory shipping rustproofing in a crate. I think your worst enemy is when the temps rise in the spring and your garage stays cold inside.

In the wooden crate or shed is the key. I restore motorcycles and have pulled bikes out of wooden sheds with very little corrosion and from metal sheds or unheated garages that cars were parked in that were damaged by corrosion. Wipe or spray down with "Way lube" before throwing a cheap motorcycle cover over it. Adding a magnetic block heater to warm the mass will ensure it's dew point will stay higher than the rest of the garage. Cover will vent through the material and the machine does not attract moisture.

Back