What's new
What's new

Robots Robots and High School Kids

H_Mode

Plastic
We are right in the middle of our build season. SIX weeks to build a robot from scratch that will (this year) play a modified version of soccer. Two foot high "speed bumps" at 1/3 field, overhead ball return, many balls in play at the same time. Weight limit for each robot is 120 pounds.

I am the teams designated machinist, and voice of reason. Boy are we in trouble.

Check out the official web site at

http://www.usfirst.org/roboticsprograms/frc/content.aspx?id=16209

it is kind of dry....

There are a pant load of videos on youtube, search for US FIRST.

The local competition for me is at the Verizon Arena in Manchester NH, a couple of thousand screaming kids and battling robots over four days. The top three teams from each regional go to the finials at the Georgia Dome to duke it out.

It is a blast introducing young adults to critical thinking, machine design and slinging chips.

It is nice to see another mentor here!

Are you a stock kit kind of team or a lets make it from scratch kind of team?

In addition to machine shop capability we have access to MIG, TIG and sheet metal tools. With my son off at school the team this year has very very limited tool knowledge. Right now most of them are at the screwdriver and wrench stage. The rest do software. We try to keep them away from tools for there own safety.... :D

My older son co-founded Team 975 and I was a mentor for about 5 years (drivetrain). I semi-retired after the last robot won a Motorola Quality Award. :D

My younger one will be doing some TIG welding on the frame for them this year.

P.S. I still participate in the technical discussion section at Chiefdelphi.com

Mentor for team 1164

I've been a mentor since 2003 and still going.

Check out the team website @ www.projectneo.net.

we're behind the power curve this year, we have a lot of new team members. We used three weeks to prototype, and have just ordered the parts we need. 20 days left to build.

Another past mentor here, team 236 'Techno Ticks'

Yep, another past mentor here. I was a mentor for Team 236, the Techno Ticks for five years. I'm actually hoping to get re-involved now that I am settled again. Several coworkers keep me up to date with one of the local teams but I already knew that I have too much on deck for this season. It's an amazing program and, in my opinion, holds the promise of a brighter future for this country. Good to see you guys here!

Joe

Awesome stuff, love seeing kids involved in these sorts of things. I might not have become a machinist if it were not for the competitions I was in during high school and middle school. (graduated in 94)

If I was king, every school would have a quality shop. It's criminal that these programs are being cut.

With the level of effort and involvement required, you can get really close to these kids. I've had some absolutely great times and was even invited as a chaperon on a school trip to Busch Gardens because I was cool. Several of the team alumni are or are studying to become engineers and a few still do some mentoring.

The lady at VCU who used to be the robotics liaison (and also the recruiter/admissions person) at the e-school just happened to find a scholarship for my older son because we were well know via FIRST participation. We didn't even have to apply for it.

EDIT: Here's one of our former team members, Robert, working on his soccer-playing robot at Va Tech. Brilliant kid.

http://www.vtnews.vt.edu/story.php?relyear=2007&itemno=533

attachment.php

Attachments

• robotics350.jpg
    robotics350.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 3,496
H_mole
We are a stock kit for the frame. But for the price they charge I wonder why. See the only thing we use is the channel and a few other parts. Last year we camp next to a team that did most of there out of carbon fiber and I was hoping to do some in it this year.
David/toledo:cheers:

Our local team is pretty much always at the championships. The kits are made right down the road by friends of mine that left our company to start Innovation First. The programmer of the controller operating system used to work for me.

this stuff is so important for kids, I wished I had this when I was young. When my Daughter was young we built diaramas for just about every school project, she claims that with out glitter she would not of gotten thru grade school. now she is a movie set designer!

Does the Manchester Comp need a machinist for the Verizon shop?

I volunteered to be a machinist in the temp shop at the Verizon center in Manchester for three years, and if they have an opening again, hope to do so. Maybe one of the NH people on this thread could point me in a direction, the people I worked with are not running this shop anymore.

... we built diaramas for just about every school project ...

Yeah, we made some pretty cool dioramas way back when. Now we have 3 lathes, 3 drill presses, a mill, 5 welders and a whole lot of other stuff. At least the dioramas fit in a shoebox. :D

My younger one started in FIRST in 7th grade. Now he's attending community college studying welding and machining. He would absolutely love to get into factory automation/manufacturing. He learned a lot by participating in FIRST and not necessarily just technical stuff.

Back