What's new
What's new

Bridgeport NC ?

JC:
I agree with the others... I know that you are good at responding with information over email (we talked about a new 3-jaw Hardinge chuck you had for sale) but your descriptions are approach near "no information" in the NC case. There are so many variations of NC/CNC machines out there that people are probably tending to just brush over your ad due to inadequate descriptive text. Try editing the ones you have put into the Classified section and in the this section as well, and you should have a great deal more luck! If you need help identifying a machine better, there are a plethora of people here that are willing to help (you can email me too and I'll be happy to provide you with as much information as I can).
smile.gif

Alan

My wife says I do the same thing,sorry guys.This is a early 80's bridgeport that uses a paper tape reader,hence numerical control.The actual controler is %#$@ but I thought the mill itself could be retrofitted to cnc or even manual.It has a 4hp motor large amounts of travel.Ihate to sell it for scape.

Sorry JC, but now that I know exactly what you have, it's worth *less* than the manual equivalent. It could be retroffed to CNC but no one will be willing to actually do it due to cost. One can buy a perfectly decent CNC Bridgeport for much less than a retroffited NC to CNC one.

Centroid used to buy these and retrofit to their control but last I heard they were only paying about $800 for Series II NC Bridgeports.

Getting there.... Can you tell us what model it is? Bridgeport made a transition from stepper to servo based systems and that may make a huge difference for someone wanting to do a retrofit (well, guess they have to in this case
smile.gif
). Also, Bridgeport made machines with "CNC" tables (deeper but not as wide) or just their normal 40/48 (whatever) table. Again, that may be important. And Bridgeport also used a variety of different heads. Some had integral ballscrews while others had a servo/stepper mounted on the outside and it would interface to the quill through the tripout area. Those things could all be easily addressed with a photo. I can help you with hosting the photo. (hmmm, maybe, I don't know if my Moderator capabilities will work in this forum... I can figure that out though).

Alan

OK Alan,I'l get all the info tonight and post it.Guess I better start pushing the wife to get that digital camera!

JC, you have a Series 2 Bridgepoert NC if it has a 4 HP head on it. The Z axis is done by the knee and the quill is operated by a Spindle Wizard unit. In it's day it was quite a machine but is worthless today. I have turned a few down over the years for free even because of the hassels in trying to retrofit one of them. Your better off starting with a Series 2 BOSS machine that has a true ball quill. Very easy to retrofit and great iron. Bill

Bill, Thats excatly what I have.Any suggestions on how to unload it,you won't hurt my feelings.

John

Back