What's new
What's new

60° V-belt?

68Futura

Plastic
Is anyone familiar with this v-belt groove with these dimensions? I can't really find any belts with 60 degree (most seem to be 38 or 40) and at .275" it's shallower than any pulley I've seen. It's on a vintage air compressor that i believe dates at around 1932. Could this perhaps be for some old round belt, rather than a v-type?

Attachments

• 20240115_151636.jpg
    20240115_151636.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • download.jpg
    download.jpg
    623.3 KB · Views: 10
  • download2.jpg
    download2.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 10
  • download3.jpg
    download3.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Got a lathe? Reshape the vee's to fit a standard section belt of your choice.
I'm not really concerned about correcting it, I'm just curious about it's history. Was it for an obsolete belt v-type belt, a belt other than a v-type, or perhaps some oddball home cut grooves...

My apology for my remark.
I remember cutting pulley grooves way back in life. Seem like the larger the diameter, the more angle you gave the vee. I don't recall 50° more like 40°. Your dimensions almost match up to a A-section belt cross section. It's very possible the manufacturer made it that way for a special belt that could be only purchased from them.

I recall MAN busses had a fixed centres belt(generator ,I think) .....very flat and steep angles of the V .....but the big shock was at the parts counter......the belt was $1100 ,and two of (matched set)..........German vehicles tend to have costly spares prices,but that was over the top.

IIRC (it was over 50 yrs ago) 60 deg vees were used on wire rope driving pulleys, .............some bigguns were out of steel plate, .probably for one of the papermills

Back