What's new
What's new

Foam tool cutouts for tool storage - Any experience here with that ?

Went to shop today and took some photos that show the complexity of the Gedore foam cutouts...different depths even on the same tool sometimes. The foam is 1 5/8" thick. Notice it's not a perfect rectangle either...they even cut the front and aft sides to accommodate the drawer divider holder sheet metal.

The recesses look as if they may have been thermally formed in the blue layer. Some foams can be thermo-formed, if you have a tool form, heat it, and press into the foam. it collapses the foam and forms a tough thick coating, not really "melted" together, but like that. I've seen that in other european things with foam used in similar ways. If they make many of them, that is likely what they did.

The recesses look as if they may have been thermally formed in the blue layer. Some foams can be thermo-formed, if you have a tool form, heat it, and press into the foam. it collapses the foam and forms a tough thick coating, not really "melted" together, but like that. I've seen that in other european things with foam used in similar ways. If they make many of them, that is likely what they did.
Could they have laser or water jet the gray top layer so perfectly that it seamlessly matches the edges where it joins to the blue thermoform and then align is equally perfectly for adhesion ? Seems unlikely...but maybe... Also note the recess for the little hack saw is not an mirror image of the saw but routed so that the saw lays flat in the foam.

Check out the General Mechanics Tool Kit from the US military. Several companies make similar kits, Armstrong, Kipper, Snap-on, etc. They pack a lot of tools in a small case.

http://www.armstrongtools.com/armstrong-sgmtk1-general-mechanics-tool-kit-gmtk.html

I don't think it would work for me. I'm constantly upgrading, adding to, or otherwise changing my tool collection. Even in my portable tool kit, I use tool rolls and small boxes and bags so I can be more flexible about adding and upgrading things over time. Nothing would bug me more than buying a new tool and the hauling my foam insert over to a router and milling a new pocket in the foam.

Could they have laser or water jet the gray top layer so perfectly that it seamlessly matches the edges where it joins to the blue thermoform and then align is equally perfectly for adhesion ? Seems unlikely...but maybe... Also note the recess for the little hack saw is not an mirror image of the saw but routed so that the saw lays flat in the foam.

Or, they just cut the top stuff, glued it, and then thermo-formed the blue stuff through the holes. They know where the holes are, they made the punch or program to cut them. I've seen that same looking foam before, in cases where I KNOW it was heated and pressed. (I suppose it could have been solvent-softened and pressed, I won't insist on thermo-forming, but....)

Back