What's new
What's new

Justification for Air Conditioning in Tool & Die Shop

Careful, he posts here and always responds when people talk about him.
Yeah, that is fine.
I can say a guy seems aggressive
and I don't want to watch him.
It is not a slam at him.
It is how I perceive his personality
and why I do not watch his videos
to prevent a negative emotional response
from my central nervous system.
He is certainly a smart guy and a good
machinist.
Some people have a negative emotional response
when they see a picture of Joe Biden.
Some people have a negative emotional response
when they see a picture if Donald Trump.
No different.
If it is impolite to articulate that in friendly speech
I can not help you there.

-Doozer

Last edited:
I wonder what happened with TheGrassyHutch? Maybe he quit because the place didn't have air conditioning or automatic garage doors?

I used to grit my teeth and bare it then I realized if I wanted better productivity for myself, let along be able to retain good workers, I needed it to be comfortable. It's expensive but I couldn't imagine going back now.

When customers and other vendors come over they always act surprised it's as comfy as it is.

We basically don't have to heat in the winter due to all the equipment running.

So we got a warmer than usually day for this time of year.
I'm thinking something not right on the floor so I ask a guy "Is it me or is it a bit toastdee warm in here". He says yes.
Okay, I need you to go out, uncover the wall AC units and fire them up.

It was in the 80's over here the other day, 73 in my shop, and almost turned on the AC. Kind of funny how when it's hot out, 73 seems too warm, yet when it's like 0 out, 73 is nice and comfy. Also, it seems like I ran my dehumidifiers a lot more this winter than usual? Right now I have two dehumidifiers running and am at 68 in my shop, and am nice and comfy. If it was winter time, I'd be freezing lol.

QT: (For years everyone has begged for air conditioning/climate control.)

If nobody walks then pretty much anything legal is, or can be the drill.
looks like in India the drill is barefoot and no safety glasses.
In some countries people can’t afford toilet paper so you wipe your but with a rock.
What goes around comes around so to compete we have to do the same.
With everything a law then an inspector must be paid and costs go up even more.

Poop on the walls? Demand "clean the bath room or we are walking out", not enough balls to do that? or so hard up for the money you can't afford to walk..then you stay over free and cleant it yourselves.
My fist grinder job as low man I cleaned the bath room. I think I started at $1.25.
Cleaning the batrh room was more pleasant then cleaning the Blanchards.

Last edited:

In some countries people can’t afford toilet paper so you wipe your but with a rock.

Poop on the walls? Demand "clean the bath room or we are walking out", not enough balls to do that? or so hard up for the money you can't afford to walk..then you stay over free and cleant it yourselves.
My fist grinder job as low man I cleaned the bath room. I think I started at $1.25.
I have seen some nasty Blanchard and Mattison grinders. My very first job in a shop was sledgehammer guy on a burn table . We also had to clean it once a month. Those are not exactly clean either.

I used to grit my teeth and bare it then I realized if I wanted better productivity for myself, let along be able to retain good workers, I needed it to be comfortable. It's expensive but I couldn't imagine going back now.

When customers and other vendors come over they always act surprised it's as comfy as it is.

We basically don't have to heat in the winter due to all the equipment running.
That could be a criminal charge if the opposite sex was around.

In my experience employers refuse to have any accountability in turnover. They blame employees for not wanting to work and think anyone who is tired of their socks getting soaked with ball sweat is a weenie.

AC in a shop is a must if that shop does any precision work.
I am amazed at shops near me that are full of nice new Mori CnC lathes n mills, no AC and doing - supposedly tight tolerance medical work! Roll up doors wide open to get a breeze through and it’s 90 degrees out!
Crazy, guess I was spoiled working in AC tool rooms, when I started my own shop - ac was not a question, it was a given.
I also have had people walk through and comment about how nice it is in The shop. seriously folks, thats where the money is made! Why would you want the employees and machines to be compromised?

I worked at a tool and die shop in Buffalo NY for a short time.
The shop bathroom had NEVER been cleaned.
There was poop on the toilet, on the walls, on the floor.
Everywhere poop. So everyone had a poop chair. It was
like a plastic chair with a hole in the seat, like for older people
who need to sit higher above the toilet because they can't
get up from such a low seat. Everyone had a poop chair
from Wal Mart. Machinists would bring their poop chair into
the bathroom when they needed to take a number two.
Freaking nasty. Also, this place, no one was allowed to talk.
No talking. Period. Unless you spoke to the owner or his
idiot son, no talking. You were strongly reprimanded if you
talked to anyone. Even, "Hey Bob, can I use your edge finder",
was cracked down upon immediately.
But the owner's daughter who kept books had her own spotless
bathroom.

-Doozer
quick call to the health dept. would fix that where i live. seems like new york becoming more third world every day

Back